Echolink and cell phone laws?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD2AFV, Nov 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I think the sticking point for some people is about who has authority as it pertains to the operation of a motor vehicle. I do like what you're doing though.

I suppose in theory, it could be argued that operating an amateur radio is no more of a distraction to the driver than listening to the car radio, or operating the knobs/ controls of a car radio, or briefly adjusting the thermostat or other dashboard / steering wheel controls.

In other words, it's not a particularly risky activity that requires the driver to divert all their attention away from taking their eyes off the road etc.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Not that I’m defending this law, presuming it’s still valid and on the books...

The key provision is that it only appears to apply to “radio receiving sets” that are capable of receiving police & fire frequencies. If your mobile rig is not so capable, then technically, the law does not apply to you.

Of course, that also presumes that the officer writing the citation knows the difference between an amateur frequencies only rig, and one that scans or is capable of scanning the other appropriate land-mobile frequencies, including those allocated to public safety and law enforcement.

3. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

That's one of the troubles with such nanny state laws. They create problems for otherwise innocent people, who will then be forced to submit and pay an unnecessary fine, OR go to court to prove he's innocent. That turns justice (innocent until proven guilty) on its ear. That's just not right when such misguided laws do nothing to abate distracted driving OR abet the intent of the Federal Government for the Service. The simple thing to do is to 1) recognize on the Federal level that the use of a two way radio has little or no impact on distracted driving. 2) That given the difference between the cell phone and any conventional two way radio, the state has no business attempting to "regulate" what has always been the exclusive purvey of FCC.

It is the cell phone that has brought this issue upon us, NOT the two way radio.

W4POT likes this.
  4. K4KWH

That is the essence of it! It is not now, nor has it ever been even a minor distraction, and does not substantially affect the ability to operate a vehicle. The cell phone DOES exactly that. So if something needs regulating, then lets regulate the thing that is causing the distraction. It does no good to punish that what does not impact driving anymore than turning down the volume on the car radio.

KC8VWM likes this.
  5. K4KWH

What's needed is a distinction between driving a vehicle, what things affect it. If it can be proven that a two radio has little to no effect on driving the car, then the Federal regulations and any amendments they decide should be enough to determine WHO has authority to operate a radio. A two way radio is not a significant factor in driving, so it should be left alone. Taken as a separate issue, such laws are a "solution" looking for a problem (that does not exist).

6. KC8VWM

I think it's incredibly funny how my GM automobile that's factory equipped with gadgets, built in WiFi hotspot, on board computers for monitoring this , that and everything through a computer screen menu system, gizmos and buttons plastered all over the steering wheel and other controls and touch screen displays that are mounted both overhead and on the dashboard, which closely resembles the controls aboard the NASA space shuttle are somehow not considered to be a driving distraction in any way.

But yet this!...

163332257130_1.jpg

...This two way radio is somehow deemed to be a serious driving distraction!

Of course, operating your Millennial Falcon on the streets is not considered to be a driving distraction..

S-Klasse_S63_AMG_(11211022494).jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
    KX4O likes this.
  7. K4KWH

While I recognize there are distractions, I still view many "helps and mandated system" on cars to be more about Big Brother than it is about "helping" us. We have gradually given up control of our lives under the guise of "good" when it suddenly rears up to bite us. I like, for example warning tones and symbols in my side mirrors that tell me there's someone beside me and mitigated blind spots. I DO NOT like systems that attempt to take control of the car--like Toyota's "Radar Cruise Control" that maintains distance between cars by slowing abruptly when cars cut in your "space". I don't want a car that PARKS for me: I learned to parallel park in high school; it was required to get the license. And I certainly don't want a car that DRIVES for me! No thank you; I'll drive myself if you please. I've used the little saying before: Put a frog in warm water, he likes it. Gradually, ever so slowly turn up the heat. Eventually, the frog will cook without even knowing it. I never tried that, but its just a good illustration of what's happening to us as a society. We are, under the guise of "good", giving up our personal autonomy piece by piece, accepting control of "gub'mint" while not realizing the consequences. This blind-side "ban" of two way radio use by using "distracted driving" as an excuse is just another chip out of our personal choices and the Freedoms we have always held dear. If something is truly a danger, then regulate it. If its NOT, then leave it alone!

KX4O and KC8VWM like this.
  8. KC8VWM

Yeah I see the big push for autonomous vehicles on the roads and think to myself this isn't going to work out exactly like they think it will.

Of course, everything looks good in theory, but implementing in actual practice is often another matter.

There's another thing to think about too. If cars drive themselves then how does it affect the current driving laws?

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

No problem -- the insurance companies will just double or triple everybody's rates, and it will all work out in the end. :eek:

KP4SX likes this.
  10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see it now - the Ludicrous Defense

[​IMG]