ad: elecraft

Ebay end auction early scam

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W2NER, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W2NER

W2NER Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay, not sure this is the correct place to put this but I wanted to pass this information out for anyone who sells on ebay.

If you end an auction early for ANY reason even if the item was damaged during the auction, ebay will charge you the 10% of the highest bidder even if you cancel the bids. So canceling the bids has no effect, they will still use the highest bidder to calculate the final selling fee. This auction site is getting to a point where I won’t do business selling anymore. You have been warned.

2. KC7I

KC7I Ham Member QRZ Page

No, this isn't the place for it, but I'm not sure what would be either.
    Selling at auction is a contract. If you break that contract by cancelling the sale, there are consequences.
    I have had sales cancelled after the auction was over, even after I'd paid for it, because the seller didn't like the price or sold it for more elsewhere. This fee is a way of discouraging that.
    I'm no fan of E-bay at all, but for once I agree with them.

WB0MPB likes this.
  3. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

They charge 10% anyway.

I sold a radio for $300.00 and it cost me $30.00 plus the listing fee, which I think was a dollar. It ticked me off, so I created hambids.com

EI5GLB likes this.
  4. WA1KBQ

WA1KBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

While 10% is higher than the graduated fee scale applied to a sale up until several years ago it's still not a bad deal for advertising your item worldwide. I believe they've adopted this new policy due to abuses such as contacting the seller and offering a tempting sum to cancel the auction and complete the transaction off-site. Ebay should be entitled to a reasonable fee since the auction did produce a buyer for you. The "lost or broken" excuse is likely not truthful in most cases.

WB0MPB and AA7QQ like this.
  5. NA5A

NA5A Ham Member QRZ Page

Ebay is all about the buyer these days. I rarely use it other than buying products these days. The last time I tried to sell an item, the high bidder didn't pay and wouldn't respond to my messges. It tied up my item for 2 weeks after the week long auction had ended (3 weeks total). Then because Ebay was going to let me relist it for free, I was not even allowed to leave the guy negative feedback for being a non paying bidder. I went to relist the item using their means to do so without having to start from scratch on the auction listing and it would not let me make any changes to the description. I just got so frustrated that I still have the monitor...I decided to keep it. The fees have gotten out of hand anyway. I think the comment that 10% is reasonable since you are advertising worldwide is a bit hard to swallow. If you list an item on here and on numerous other for sale sites, you are getting a worldwide advertisement for free.

6. KD9MAR

KD9MAR Ham Member QRZ Page

I quit Ebay and Paypal many years ago. I'm glad that I did.

Been burned way too many times by both.

7. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The UI could use some work... I registered, and it took me to a page with no explanation as to my registration status. Later a mail item appeared... How long has this site been up?

8. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it does need some work, it has only been up about a week and I am still working on it. The official opening date is the 12th of December, as it says on the site.

The registration page takes you to this.

"User Name, you should receive an e-mail to Your@email.com in a few minutes. It will contain your password needed to sell or bid. If you do not get an e-mail, please re-register."

73, and thanks for joining.

Andrew
    AD5KO

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Another thread to bash EBay. I have lost count of how many there have been.
    You said, "This auction site is getting to a point where I won’t do business selling anymore." I am sure they are having a board meeting and all sitting around crying because you won't do business with them anymore.
    I raise you one. I have been on EBay since 1999 and never had a problem. And since they have been in business for decades they must being doing something right. And if their fees make you unhappy then don't use their service. I have sold all over the world and find the cost is worth being to advertise an item around the world.
    So I will now sit back and wait for the next "Bash EBay" thread. I can't wait.

John, WB0MPB

10. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I went to hambids.com once and looked around and found it way to confusing for me. Thanks for the site but I will stay with EBay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.