Easy-to-program HT - Does it exist?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD2ADL, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K4ISR

K4ISR Ham Member QRZ Page

That is pretty much how I see it. I also have a UV-5R and found Chirp is best way to go. As long as you understand what is meant by tone and offset then you should be able to program in the repeaters. If you know how to copy and paste in Windows, then importing repeaterbook from within the program is straight forward.

Personally I also have a laptop with Ubuntu on it and Chirp installed, so if I am on the road I can find a free wifi spot, look up local repeaters (again importing repeaterbook from within the program) and should be programmed within a few minutes. Although I suspect it comes a bit easier to me being in my mid 30s and raised around modern computers, but even for the elder generation, it should be easy enough to use Chirp. The only time a problem comes in is if the USB-serial cable or radio is malfunctioning, or they typed in something wrong.

I looked around and saw they were all a pain so I went with basic and cheap for my first radio. I check in with nets from repeaters up to 15 miles away with an external antenna.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Even without using the software, the Baofeng UV-5R isn't too difficult to set up for different repeaters just using the VFO. All you have to do is punch in the frequency of the repeater and then change the CTCSS tone, if needed. Of course, it's far easier using the software to program the memory channels and since they give you 128 memories I'm sure I'll never fill them up. But it's a real bear trying to program memory channels using the radio alone, since I never could get it to save the CTCSS tone right or the offset for some reason. It kept wanting to transmit simplex. So, not being a masochist, if I'm going to travel with it I will look up the repeaters beforehand and program it using the software, which is hundreds times easier.

3. N4QFY

N4QFY Ham Member QRZ Page

I have 3 of the cheap chinese baofeng dual bands (uv-5r, F-11, uv-3r) and an older alinco 2m. I have the manual for the alinco and I still don't know how to program it but the chinese radios are so simple for me. I can program all 3 for a repeater in less then a min each. The longest is the uv-3r and thats just because I can't just type in the freq. It takes a few sec to a min more to twist the vfo around. I have chirp to program them but I didn't have it until a few months after I got the radios. The only reason I use it is so I can name the channels. I was forgetting what my channels were before I downloaded chirp.

4. KE7AGK

KE7AGK Ham Member QRZ Page

The less than $200 Yaesu handhelds and the older Icom IC-T7H are easy to program and use. Yaesu VX-2/3/5R. I have a Yaesu VX-7R and it is a hard one to master, and more expensive. The IC-T7H is the easiest one I personally have to program.
    Commercial radios can be easy once you get used to the software though. (But require a computer.)

5. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. Programming a bunch of freqs of course would be faster and easier using software, but after you understand their way of doing things it's not that bad.
    I could probably tune one maybe two repeaters by hand faster than it would take to load the software, connect the cable, punch in the freqs and upload.

6. KD8OSD

KD8OSD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The RepeaterBook app on my android has Bluetooth capabilities with some of the Icom radios. I guess they are working on it.

7. KD6KPC

KD6KPC Ham Member QRZ Page

Look up BlueCat. We can program some Yaesu radios, also. More development on the way.

Garrett, KD6KPC

8. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of radios are easy to program using CHiRP...

9. K3LI

K3LI Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at ARRL's Travel Plus. Trace your route on a map, creates a list. Bang! DL it into your radio and you have all the repeaters you will need on that route. Works wonders.

10. AA0UU

AA0UU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the reference to K6LCS's one-page cheat sheet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.