ad: M2Ant-1

Easy-to-program HT - Does it exist?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD2ADL, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Another thumbs up for my FT-60. But also find my Alinco DJ-G7 easy to use.

2. AF5SX

AF5SX Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a VX6R that I programmed with RT Systems software. And an ID-51 that, more or less programs itself (it's practically that easy on DStar "programming")

3. WB9UDA

WB9UDA Ham Member QRZ Page

On the BF 5RA, setting up repeaters is as easy as filling out an Excel Spreadsheet.
    So if I was going to take a trip, I'd just take my Netbook along in it's little Almost-Bulletproof case and it wouldn't take a moment to set my choice of repeater frequencies into the radio.

If it was to be a day trip, to just one city, I'd look up the repeaters for that city in my ARRL Repeater Directory and program them in before I ever leave home. Then I wouldn't have to mess around with programming while on the road.

When I use "Chirp" for programming my HT, I print out the Chirp screen and take it with me in the car, for a quick repeater reference.

It's really a great little radio. My old Yeasu FT-207R was easy to program, but it had no tone generator. So I built one into the hand mic. that would bring up my home repeater.
    That only worked if I was in an area that used that one tone.

Cheers Mates!

WB9UDA :cool:

4. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

FT60R is easy to program.

I have one but the battery finally went after 5 years, so I need to get another.

Solid radio.

I'm honestly surprised however that someone hasn't come up with a cable that you can plug into the USB port of a tablet or phone and an app to do the same kind of programming.

When/if that happens....people won't have any excuse anymore.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
  5. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd say any HT with appropriate software - be it RT Systems, CHIRP, whatever - is fine. Most of them are tough to set up on their own.

6. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I also don't have a problem with manually programming the Baofengs, and I have a UV-82 and a UV-B5. At most, I'd say it takes 2 minutes per channel. It's really just a matter of committing the algorithm to memory, and it is pretty logical. I must admit that I'm scratching my head at why one would think that you have to turn the UV-82 off and on for each channel programmed. You can just program in all your channels in frequency (VFO) mode and only when you want to switch to channel (memory) mode you turn the radio off and back on holding the menu key. It's a pain, but you don't have to do that for each channel.

As for programming these radios for a road trip, I would pre-program the radio using Chirp before ever leaving home. If you know the route you will be taking, you can use Chirp to look up the repeaters.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  7. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That is a good HT and even programming in odd splits isn't that hard.

8. WB9UDA

WB9UDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I spent $149 for a little Icom HT a few years ago and never could figure out how to program it. What a nightmare!!!!

So I wound up giving it away, and spending the next few years, radio'less and off of ham radio. I was totally disgusted with the whole deal.
    If that was the new technology, I didn't want any part of it.
    My old Yeasu HT was easy to program, but it didn't have tone capability. So today it would be virtually useless, at least around here.

I love my little Baofeng UV-5R, whick only cost me $36, and I don't mind at all, programming it with one of my computers. I have "Chirp" set up on XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.
    Going for a road trip? I can easily program it for all the repeaters along the way. before I ever leave home. NO Problemo!!!

73's

WB9UDA :cool:

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The HTX-202 and HTX-404 come the closest to this of any I've used, and even they are not quite that simple. The latest Yaesus and Alincos are almost as good, and I assume the Kenwoods and Icoms aren't a whole lot different.

The only transceivers I've seen that actually are that simple, are mobiles, not handhelds.

10. AC6BW

AC6BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the new Alinco DJ-580T is pretty easy to program by hand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.