Easy-to-program HT - Does it exist?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD2ADL, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KD2ADL

KD2ADL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a Wouxun HT which is programmed for local repeaters and works nicely, but is essentially useless for travelling because it is a nightmare to enter a new repeater by hand from the keypad. All other characteristics aside, are there any 2M or 2M-70cm HTs which are easy to program on the fly? In an ideal world, this would be a sequence like (1) enter frequency (2) enter offset (3) enter PL and (4) listen/transmit. Does anyone make a radio like this, or am I dreaming?

Bob, KD2ADL

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

DO you have any Kenwood, Yaesu, or Icom HT's? Most of the cheap Chinese HT are known to be a bear to manually program. I have no problem with my Kenwood's or Yaesu's.

I also have a Baofeng, all pre-programmed using Chirp for what I want.

Steve
    KV6O

3. KD2ADL

Yes, my Wouxun is pre-programmed with KG-UV Commander, but the scenario that I'm considering is a long drive to some place I've never been before and will never return to, and I'd like to ask for directions or a nearby gas station on the repeater. Can you really put in a new repeater with just a few steps like I outlined? If yes, with which model Japanese HTs? In this scenario, freq. etc doesn't need to go into a memory location, could just sit in a temporary buffer while I make the one call I'll ever make on that repeater.

Bob, KD2ADL

4. W4DLE

W4DLE Ham Member QRZ Page

The programming cables for those things are about $6. The software (Chirp) is free. Use the Repeaterbook web site to pick repeaters along the route of your road trip. I can program one in about 4 minutes with another dozen or so repeaters. Also, you live in Jersey. You probably can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone who owns one and can program it with their software. If computers are "not your thing" then get up with one of them and have them do it (again, in about a few minutes).

The Yaesu isn't what I call "hard" to program, but there's a learning curve and time involved. You can get the basics pretty quickly. But those things will do just about anything. And programming all the beneficial features of the radio takes time.

5. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know that any work the way you outlined, I just picked up my Kenwood TH-F6 I happen to have sitting here, press VFO to get into VFO mode, press ENT for direct entry, type in the freq (say, 146.970) and it automatically know that this should be negative offset, so I don't' have to do anything there (shows "-" on the display).

To change the tone, I first turn it on with the TONE button, I can cycle thru TONE, CT, DCS, and off. To change the tone, I press the "F" key and TONE again (for Tone Select). Now I scroll up and down using the little joystick to what ever tone freq. I want and select "OK".

That's all there is.

Many radios are similar.

Steve
    KV6O

6. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Old Phart here, but short of my 80's vintage Yaesu FT-470, they are all a bear to program manually. For my "newer" HT's I am using the RT Systems software and cable. It's worth the price just for my sanity!

7. N6DZK

N6DZK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Umm .. it's called an FT-60R. You can program a memory, from the keypad, with tones and offsets, in less than a minute. No other HT that I have used is close.

8. KC7DDW

KC7DDW Ham Member QRZ Page

After understanding it I can program any of my baofengs quickly, this includes the UV-82 the UV3r UV 5r and UVb5 they do all program differntly - the worst being the UV-82 which you have to turn off and on for each channel!

I can do it in the car on the move... Good thing I don't use a cell phone when driving though that would be a distraction. HA

9. KD2ADL

I hope you're right, because I just ordered one. After looking at reviews for many, many models, this one seemed to be about the most straightforward one. Also, along the way I ran into K6LCS's one-page cheat sheet to program the radio, and it is pretty close to what I was asking for. Thanks to all who chimed in on this one.

Bob, KD2ADL

10. N6DZK

N6DZK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With the FT-60R, it already knows, in most cases, if the offset is +/-, and what the offset is, if the repeater is using modern "best practices". So it is more like 1) enter frequency 2) pick tone or tone squelch (encode or encode/decode) 3) select the ctcss tone 4) commit to memory. It is by far the easiest of the HT's to program. Yes, you can learn to program the Baofeng's (now Pofung), or other China made radios. I still do not understand why they are still such a kludge to program from the keypad. But none of them are as easy at the FT-60. Pofung, Anytone, etc, are catching up. But they still have a ways to go. If you have to "deploy", an FT-60 should be in your kit. If you are in a bug-out situation from a disaster, or whatever, and you have to break out USB cables and laptops to get comm up and running, then you are doing it wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.