ad: cq2k-1

Easy Mobile Installation Of MFJ-1129 In Motorhome K6UDA Radio Episode 41

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6UDA, Jan 19, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm headed out to Quartzsite AZ for Quartzfest 2017. But first, I need to install this new power distribution block from MFJ so I can use DC power to charge all my devices and run my KX Line radio while I'm on the road.
    EP 41 Installing a power Block.jpg

KE8BUS, N4GST, K0PIR and 2 others like this.
  2. KZ5R

KZ5R Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Robert,

Nice video. Couple of things I would like to add being a motorhome owner myself.

First, if you have a diesel pusher with the battery banks in the back, the installation is going to be quite a bit different and more difficult. Of course, you should always run the power directly from the battery banks if at all possible. Second, if you run the typical 100 watt HF rig, you will need to situate your antenna well away from your coach or very strange things can begin to happen. I have a vertical on my roof access ladder and on transmit one of the slides started to retract by itself and the auto generator start was engaged even though it was turned off. It required lots of clamp on ferrites and a choke balun to provide enough suppression to calm things down.

You need to put them on the all the DC lines as well as the control lines of electronics effected and the coax feedline. Just my two cents, YMMV.

Bob, KZ5R
    Balun Designs LLC

3. K6UDA

K6UDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the input. This coach is a gas rig and the coach batteries are up front. I've got a random wire antenna I mount on a 33' pole at the back of the rig. Haven't had much in the way of issues so far so I'm excited to see how this works for me on this trip.

4. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

I use ac power supply but have put a pole on my ladder 13 ft too pull up my dipole it is 4to1 at ground 35 ft ladder line too t and 37 ft insulated wire to insulators us as inverted v to tent pegs or diple up into trees .

5. N3CRM

N3CRM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a gas RV and I mount a 40m whip on the top of the rear ladder. I use an AC power supply to provide 12vdc BUT I have to cheat the AC ground to the supply. If I ground the bottom of the ladder to the frame of the RV, nothing works. If everything is floating, I get excellent results maybe because the ladder is a counterpoise.

6. N8BEG

N8BEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would bet you tuned the top radiator once installed on the ladder; the ladder is the other half of the Vertical dipole. So, yes, ladder is counter poise, so to speak. You can ground the ladder to frame and retune...it may perform better but my guess is you would not notice much change....

7. KF5UMC

KF5UMC Ham Member QRZ Page

We also are full timers in our 41 ft Class Diesel Pusher and currently in Tombstone AZ. I have my Hustler 6 band trap vertical connected to the Tar Heel tow receiver hitch mount. All coax cables and AC power cables are run through the MFJ-4601 window feed through. I don't use the house batteries to power the 200 watt amp or HF radio I just run a 50 ft extension cord from the RV park shore power, through the MFJ-4601 and to my 40 amp power supply.

The frame on the coach works very well as a counterpoise and not too directional. This is good as its not practical to run radials. This setup is not for communications during driving but the entire setup takes 30 minutes max once parked. The only issue I have is the electric remote control porch awning will retract if I key up on 80 or 40 meters, so I unplug the DC power to the awning controller box...also no noticeable adverse interaction with the ladder near the vertical antenna. You can see my "ham shack" here. https://www.qrz.com/db/KF5UMC

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017