Easy Entry to Ham Radio....Good for Business!.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by NN2X, Oct 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

Good day fellow Ham Operators

I have been a Ham for about 40 Years + I passed the Extra back in 1980...

I wonder who really benefited by having the CW done away with, and having a pool of questions on hand for those who desire to pass over the weekend? (Please don't tell me this can't be done, my son who had zero interest in Ham radio passed in 2 weeks, studying 15 minutes per day )...Adam is 12 years old (His Calls are KI5FJE). He could have passed in 2 days...But he said he would study only for his Dad, and only 15 minutes per day!

Back to the topic..

I think I know who really benefited!..The manufacturers, obviously.

But here is what is interesting, even though there is a higher amount of licensed Ham operators, the active Ham operators are the same as it has been for decades

The point being, the beneficiary is the Ham operator who passes the weekend bootcamp, buys the transceiver and tries operating for a few weeks, and puts it in the attic, never to be used again..

However, Easy Entry, good for business, that is what it is all about..Right?

Please allow me to explain how I had benefited from passing the Ham radio the old fashion way.

About 40 years ago, I passed my Extra Class. I interviewed the following day, although I had a BSEE, 1st Class, phone, I got hired because I was a Ham operator. The manager knew I had practical experience through Ham radio and discipline to pass the CW code. Ham radio launched my satellite career! What a journey after living in or short stays 70 countries, designing satellite Teleport and launching satellites. I got chance to see the world, all due to Ham radio.

There are many Hams that has similar stories as mine.

I wonder if today the same opportunity would be given to a new Ham Operator, with the new easy Entry to Ham radio?

Although Ham radio is not meant to be a career path, many of us Ham did follow this path, that has been eliminated...

But Easy Entry Good for Business! Isn't this what is all about...

You got to hand it to the Lobbyist for manufacturers

C U all on the Bands

NN2X

Tom

K1OIK and K8BZ like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You know... I have looked at the related NPRM documents surrounding the dropping of Morse testing, and looked at them several times, and I don't remember seeing any comments from the likes of Kenwood, Icom, Elecraft, etc.

Hand-sent radiotelegraphy is obsolete. That's why it has become "just another mode." It's not about anything else. All the bitterness about the dropping of Morse testing is like blaming the automobile manufacturers for the demise of horses in transportation and draft service.

As for the simple content in the test questions -- that's not FCC's doing -- the selection of test content is up to NCVEC. If we don't like the simple questions, we need to contact them to get them to "thicken" the question pool a bit.

Having the questions and answers published in advance is standard federal testing procedure. Even commercial pilots do written tests this way. The size of the question pool and the number of distractor answers is also at the discretion of the NCVEC, so we can ask them to change it if we don't like the test challenge level.

N4DJT, W9FL, K7JEM and 4 others like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If we look at which entity advocated the most (and continues to do so) for lowering the prerequisites for licensing, it is no coincidence it is the same entity which benefits the most in terms of revenue generated - the ARRL.

W9RAC, K8AI and K3XR like this.
  4. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Increased sales volume is a bad thing, I suppose. What do we get out of it? Besides a vibrant, competitive marketplace offering far superior equipment at a fraction of the (inflation-adjusted) cost of an HW-101 40 years ago, I mean.

:D

KI6IPO and W4RAV like this.
  5. NN2X

NN2X Ham Member QRZ Page

You are right...Icom 7300 low price, high value...That is one benefit...

Cheers
    NN2X, Tom

N7CPM likes this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Really?

Please document this with facts. Otherwise, with all due respect... Give it a rest.

KB3FEI, K4AGO, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

No, Tom.

First off, CW wasn’t done away with. Only Exam Element 1 was eliminated from the exam.

Second, this was an international trend that had been going on for many years. The US was one of the last to drop the Code element from the Amateur exam.

Third, this had nothing to do with the manufacturers. This was the result of other Radio and Communications services phasing out CW in favor of other modes over many decades; to say nothing of the military services also phasing out training of new Morse operators, again in favor of newer modes and technologies. [ Whether or not that being a wise decision in the long run being another topic for another thread ].

The FCC, as well as other administrations around the world, was convinced (correctly or not) that with no other Services using or requiring Morse operators, there was little to no need to continue to test Amateurs on that ability. You can thank lobbying groups like the late, not so great No Code International for getting this pushed through.

A bad decision done on poor reasoning, by a government agency that no longer cares about the largest licensed radio service they administer? Definitely... but it was done, and that’s that.

K4AGO, K7JEM, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  8. WA9JOQ

WA9JOQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So, Tom, the way to increase participation in the future of ham radio for the younger generation or any generation for that matter is to make it more difficult to become a ham? I read comments like yours by hams blessed with electronics know how and experience on chat sites seemingly looking down upon the majority of the general population who would find it very difficult to grasp the electronics theory necessary to pass the general or extra class exams.

Unfortunately most would be hams do not have an unselfish and helpful “elmer” present to inspire them to success. Likewise there are very few ham radio courses offered to interested individuals at local community colleges to provide help.

Let’s not fall into the trap of intended or unintended exclusivity when discussing the future of our beloved hobby by encouraging more difficult entrance to it’s membership.

9. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

It was never “difficult” to obtain a license. Many of us did it as children. The only traits which separated us from others were the desire and willingness to learn, two things it seems some see as obstacles.

WA9SVD, WD8T, KB9OFM and 8 others like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

My take is that this post is another variant on a very recent thread...
    "What can we do to grow the Ham Radio Hobby?"
    I prefer the question...
    What can we do to assure quality operators enter the hobby?

More specifically for this thread...
    "Easy Entry to Ham Radio...Good for Business!."
    I would prefer the question...

Easy entry to ham radio....Good for ham radio?

N1OOQ, KK5JY, K8AI and 1 other person like this.