Easy, 30m shortened vertical.

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by MW1CFN, Mar 16, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. AK5B

AK5B Ham Member QRZ Page

Very cool project; I might do something very similar for adding 40m to my 17/20 fan Marconi I also deploy at the beach. 35mph winds are nothing to sneeze at, eh? :D

Have fun but don't get blown away!

Jeff

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Doesn't Add Up
    Looks like the ant in the article is about 37 ft total of mostly vertical wire with a loading coil at the feed end.
    Very curious baeause a QW vertical for 30 M is closer to 23.2 ft long !
    So a 10 M pole is alredy too long for 30 M!

4. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do you see 37' of wire or a 10m pole in the article?

"I like the 30m band, but don't do enough operating there. So I wanted to see if I could use a standard, nominally 7m fishing pole, to suspend a 5m long wire so that it would work as a 30m vertical with a loosely-calculated, detachable coil at the base, and as a 20m vertical without the coil."

I once had a slightly longer pole ~20' that I added three wire loops to at the top to tune up on 30m, but that was a permanent installation. The coil would work better portable I would imagine. I am about to string up a 30 wire vertical to a tree limb and wondering if I have the full 23.2 feet. After reading this, now debating on whether to let a section of wire hang horizontal-ish at the top or instead coil some wire up at the bottom. Will have to see... it's why this article piqued my curiosity, so thanks for helping me remember my old vertical and have more than one idea.

MW1CFN and AK5B like this.
  5. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

A 1/4 wave vertical, no loading, is 7.03m long. A '10m' fishing pole from China is almost always only about 8.5m long in reality, and might be slightly shorter if you use a rotary washing line screw to prop it up (the socket is mostly below ground). That leaves the feedpoint - for an elevated vertical - at only 1m. That can be problematic, depending on ground characteristics, and also leaves little room for proper downsloping adjustment of the radials, which significantly improves ease of matching.

As noted by others, your assertions about "37 feet" are plucked from, well, not anything I wrote, that's for sure.

You seem to have assumed I threw all this together without any previous experience or thought. But that's wrong. And pointless.

AK5B likes this.