ad: ProAudio-1

Easing Eyestrain

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AC2MM, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. M6AGL

M6AGL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you are staring at a wall, then try hanging a large mirror just off to one side , and then hang another picture on the opposite wall so you can see it in the mirror. This way you can de-focus your eyes and stretch them for a bit of a rest.

Where I sit I have a hallway that I can see when looking above the screen.

Try and shade any lights you can directly see from your sitting position. If you feel discomfort staring at them, then part of your eye will still be getting that light even when you are not looking directly at it, so will be slowly burning a hole in your peripheral vision.

I've set my screen to be more of a red tint so hopefully there will be less blue pixels when displaying white.

2. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My closing message on this topic: Dark Mode.

This applies to Mac users. I settled on Dark Mode for Safari as the last piece I needed for a "Dark-Moded-OS". Since my last message, I updated Mojave to Catalina. Both Mojave and Catalina have Dark Mode available in General Preferences. Dark Mode takes care of most of the Operating System windows and menus. Some applications have a Dark Mode selection, such as Text Edit. I've implemented Dark Mode every where I found. Sadly, Safari does not have a Dark Mode. I found the Safari extension: Dark Mode for Safari in Apple's App Store and purchased it. I am very happy with how it converts all the web pages I visit, to dark mode while leaving pictures in the clear. For only $2 Dark Mode for Safari works very well.

Comfortably surfing the web again,
    Bernie, AF9US

3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I "dark mode" as much as I can though what happens is that some icons in my web browsers disappear because they're black; a minor inconvenience, though.

4. AF9US

AF9US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WF7A:

You are right, I've experienced the difficulty too. There are several work-arounds to try:
    • Know the web site you are on - from your experience with the web site. Text-entry boxes usually have a white background, when dark mode is on, that white background changes to black - blending in with the rest the page surrounding the text-entry box.
    • Turn-off Dark Mode with a Control-Option-Command * shortcut key sequence. Then, use the same shortcut key sequence to turn on Dark Mode.
    • The Dark Mode for Safari has other options besides Dark Mode, use one of those options temporarily.
    • Alternatively, use Command A to select all on the page, this will highlight the various elements on the web page; propably making visible what you are having difficulty seeing.
    Hopefully, these suggestions can help make visible the elements that blend into the background when Dark Mode is on.
    Bernie, AF9US

WF7A likes this.
  5. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Except for browsers, my editors and terminals are all a slightly lighter than full black background. I kind of get why websites use a white background so as to mimic the printed page. In the early days most Web pages didn't set a background color, rather that was done by the browser and the default in Netscape was a light shade of gray.

Then Web Designers came along...

I've my phone set for a dark theme now.

6. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried the "Dark Shack" theme and I just couldn't stand it, so back to default black on white.

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you use Colour Inversion with Windows Magnifier, there is be a keyboard shortcut that toggles between normal and inverted: Ctrl+Alt+I
    A lot more convenient than going through all the steps manually each time you want to switch.

AF9US likes this.