Easing Eyestrain

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AC2MM, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. AC2MM

AC2MM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have two 24" LED monitors for my small shack, and I get a lot of eyestrain after awhile.
    Maybe this is normal, I don't know.
    I installed the f.lux software which is supposed to eliminate most of the Blue from the screens. There is a noticeable difference, but I can just feel the strain on my eyes after awhile, I don't know from what.
    My normal working distance is about 28" from the screens.
    There are also three small LED lights from above that I have pointed to the walls for reflected light.

Is there any tips or tricks anyone knows in adjusting these monitors to make it easier on the eyes?
    Resolution, contrast, etc?

Thanks,
    Robert Ham Shack.jpg

2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have you had your vision checked recently? You might need corrective "computer glasses".

3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I wear blue-blocking prescription eyeglasses--the jury's still out whether they help prevent long-term damage but hey, I figure better to be on the safe side since I stare at a computer 16+ hours/day, everyday.

As for relieving fatigue, people don't blink enough while staring at a computer screen so our eyes tend to dry out, causing dry-eye and discomfort. That, and we should take a five-minute break away from a screen every 30-40 minutes just to close the eyes and rest them.

WB7OXP, N7EKU, VE3CGA and 1 other person like this.
  4. AF9US

AF9US XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Robert:
    Replace the desktop background with a black picture. Search the Internet for a black picture, I was surprised how many there are, and, all are black!

Select one of the high-contrast themes available in Windows.

Macs have a Night-Shift mode, don't know about Windows. The Night-Shift mode reduces the intensity of the screen and the brightness of the windows on the screen.

Change the themes on your web browser to a dark background.

Change the the theme for your online accounts (such as QRZ.com) to a black background.

Lastly, turn down the intensity of the monitors, your eyes don't need 100 watt light bulbs shining into 'em.

I use these techniques to relieve eye strain, every bit helps.
    Bernie
    AF9US/W6

M0DPX likes this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It also shifts the color balance more to the yellow rather than blue.

6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

A good test pastern helps for adjustment.

upload_2018-9-13_5-13-25.png

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes a monitor can be too big, and your eyes have to refocus for seeing things on the right or left side of the screen, as the sides of the monitor are slightly farther away than the center.

8. KA9JLM

Here is a test for that.

upload_2018-9-13_8-53-47.png

9. KA9JLM

This is another good eye test.

Look. Then burn one. Look again, then laugh with snacks in hand.:D

upload_2018-9-13_9-20-3.png

10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

^^^THIS!

Something everyone should do regularly anyway. ;)

(And done by an ophthalmologist, not just an optometrist at an eyeglass retailer.)