ad: elecraft

Earthlings and astronauts chat away, via ham radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2CAJ, Dec 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K2CAJ

K2CAJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

From Phys.org (article at https://phys.org/news/2020-12-earthlings-astronauts-chat-ham-radio.html)

NASA astronaut Doug Wheelock was just a few weeks into his six-month mission at the space station when feelings of isolation began to set in.

Wheelock would be separated from loved ones, save for communication via an internet phone, email or social media. At times, the stress and tension of serving as the station's commander could be intense.

One night, as he looked out a window at the Earth below, he remembered the space station's ham radio. He figured he'd turn it on—see if anyone was listening.

"Any station, any station, this is the International Space Station," Wheelock said.

A flood of voices jumbled out of the airwaves.

TA1APU, M7CQX, KG5JAW and 11 others like this.
  2. M0MNE

M0MNE Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder what antennas they use and how they are set up.

KG4BFR likes this.
  3. W6QW

W6QW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

it must get lonely up there and probably a little boring. Im glad they have ham radios so they can talk to people.

WZ7U likes this.
  5. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope to be able to talk to the Space Station one day.

KN4CGE and KI7HVG like this.
  6. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Whenever the ISS astronauts have time to man up the ham rig, it always translates to a wonderful time for hams that QSO with them. They aren't just up there to play ham radio ... so any time they share with us is just a major treat! God bless 'em all!! :)

KN4CGE, G1NYJ, WZ7U and 3 others like this.
  7. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N5MFA

N5MFA Ham Member QRZ Page

You know I'm wondering what type of antenna array they are going to use when we finally establish that moon base in a few years. I'm thinking VHF somewhere on SSB looking forward to that one...

9. CT7ABD

CT7ABD Ham Member QRZ Page

At 25 Aug 2010 Doug, Misha, Sasha and Fyodor sing Happy Birthday to me via ISS at my birthday, he promess to me 2 months earlier during other random QSO and he did!

I never heard nothing similar, 4 astronauts sing happy birthday from ISS :), Doug mentioned it in some interviews around world, I still receive emails from friends that heard in person on internet Dougn mentioning this contact. It was amazing and my BEST moment on amateur radio in 26 years.

Unfortunatly I never meet Doug in person yet.

I attached the file if want to listen, hope it works :)

73 to all and Merry Christmass
    CT7ABD

Attached Files:

N6SPP, 2E0CIT, 2E0KLX and 4 others like this.
  10. IW2BSF

IW2BSF Ham Member QRZ Page

hi, the same with our italian astronaut Luca Parmitano ( for 2 times on the ISS and in the last was the commander ! ) NO ham-radio , but at the end

of his mission take the mike and ..... make over 330 QSO with amateur radio on the Earth , great !! 73 de IW2BSF :)

luca-iss.jpg

G3SEA and W8JV/SK2023 like this.
  11. N2FIX

N2FIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got SSTV From the ISS Today total of 6 images KD2TTN

12. W9DLP

W9DLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Antenna wise, a rubber duckie would work. It's line of site. Gives ALL new meaning to skywave.
    I've got ISS repeater but never the crew themselves.

13. W9VTT

W9VTT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

fantasy

14. AA1PR

AA1PR Ham Member QRZ Page

calling us earthlings seems rather degrading

is he so much better just because he is in space I think not

more classification & division tactics

15. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you other than an earthling?
    Haven't heard any thing else on the bands.
    Maybe your rig works better than mine.