E4 DXpeditions

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by NZ5F, Jan 25, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I am curious if anyone in North America heard the recent Russian E4 DXpedition and whether they operated on anything other than FT8. I don’t use FT8 much for a number of reasons but still curious if anyone worked them in North America. I listened for them a few times but never heard them. Also is the French Dxpedition still on track. I hope they have a safe and successful DXpedition. I will hopefully hear them on CW or SSB but not holding my breath. Might have to wait for SC25 to be here in earnest before having a real shot at E4.

2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw other stations calling them on FT8, but never got a decode here. I was reading the new QST last night and the next expedition to Palestine appears to be on track to happen! I have one confirmed contact (my only contact) with Palestine from 2016 on 20 CW. It also looks like the VP8 expedition to South Orkney Islands is on track for the latter part of next month. That will be an ATNO for me if I can pull it off! :)

NZ5F likes this.
  3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

There were spotted on 40 and 160 CW but I didn't need them on 40CW and 160 was impossible at the spotted times. I've already received my LoTW QSLs for 40 and 80 FT8.
    Key parts of their antenna system were held up in customs which explains the weaker than expected signals.

I would assume that there is no "quiet" location anywhere they could operate to hear weak signals.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now, if only Franistan and Elbonia would activate.:)

WW2PT likes this.
  5. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

The recent E44RU DXpedition did not work all that many in North America.
    A good way to see what happened, is to look on Clublog:

https://clublog.org/charts/?c=E44RU#r

Then select the tab that has statistics.

Breakdown by continent shows that only 4.6% of the QSOs were with NA. (912/19752).

Continent by mode shows there were 912 NA QSOs ; 612 FT8 , 255 CW, 45 SSB.

Continent by band shows NA QSOs 21 on 160m, 340 on 80m, 450 on 40m, 32 on 30m, 60 on 20m, 9 on 17m.

Worldwide they made most QSOs on FT8 about 9369, Then CW at 8005, and then SSB 2378,

There are lots of ways to look at this Clublog data but it often gives good insight.

I listened a bit on 160 but they were not strong here often, and I did not make a contact. I did hear them on both 80 and 40 CW, but I did not need those bands so did not call in order to let those who were in the hunt have a chance. I did not listen on FT8.

Good luck with the next group !

NZ5F likes this.
  6. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on those statistics and my pipsqueak station I won’t hold my breath for a contact with E4 during solar minimum especially since I am avoiding use of FT8 for ATNOs.

I need south Orkney for an ATNO as well. Hopefully have a chance to work them but I travel a lot for work so not sure if I will get lucky enough when I am home.

KQ9J likes this.
  7. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you get on every day you may notice better days of propagation in which you may have a chance to work difficult operations. I've worked a lot of really nice stuff because I just happened to be there at the right time.

8. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not easy for everyone to do. I retired in October so I am on a LOT more. I have done fairly well with DX over the years, but I completely missed out on a few DXpeditions to rare places because of work. No more of that! :D

But even in the solar dumpster there are days when propagation is better, you are right about that.

9. WB3BEL

WB3BEL Ham Member QRZ Page

If you think about it this way, Palestine E4 is really just next door to Israel 4X.
    Israel is not all that hard to work.
    E4 is very workable during this phase of the solar cycle. You don't need much solar flux to work on 30, 40, 80 or 160m. 20m is open for quite a while as well and even more during the months when there are more hours of sunlight.
    If the DXpedition has good operators, antennas and equipment, not too much local noise, and a desire to work harder areas of the globe, then you will have a fair chance. I hope that you have better fortune with this next group.

The team going to South Orkney seems very competent and well equipped. Hopefully they have a safe and fun time there, and are able to satisfy those seeking their first contact with that entity, and those others wanting to work them. Best of luck to you on that one as well.

NZ5F likes this.
  10. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

the past fewFT8/SSB 100W DXpeditions to E4 I didn’t even copy once on any band, since this entity is frequented pretty often I listen for it. The married couple who are there I heard a couple times fairly well on 20m SSB but couldn’t get through the pileup and they don’t stay on terribly long usually or maybe when I get on it is at the end of their operating time.