ad: M2Ant-1

E-Mail Over HF With ARDOP Winlink

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0PIR, Mar 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Create an account on the website. Best 73 and be safe!

2. KM6KIZ

KM6KIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Rich,

I have come to rely highly on your videos since I took the plunge into HF with an IC-7300. I had of course heard of Winlink but had not the courage to look into it. I am now up and running!!! Thank you for taking the time to Elmer people you have never met.

Tim KM6KIZ

W4JHU and K0PIR like this.
  3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Talking about the Wayback Machine... hadn't heard that name in a long time...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

K0PIR likes this.
  4. K0PIR

K0PIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Tim, thank you so much for the comment and input. I truly appreciate it and glad that it helped. Without input I would be lost. Best 73!

5. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good job OM. May will find it useful, Thanks!!

K0PIR likes this.
  6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

"...none that are important enough to halt progress"
    REALLY?
    Rules? We don't need no stinkin rules.

Winlinkers have been breaking the rules for many YEARS now, passing Commercial email as "traffic", and you KNOW thats true.

7. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

That is normal and a way to get around SPAM filters. Thank hams for the free service, we are making money off you.

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Y-A-W-N :rolleyes: - again, I don't care about juvenile arguments based on the past, "they started it first" ..."
    Pizzas ordered over repeater autopatches. :rolleyes: :cool:
    Don't cut off nose to spite face, or suggest rules that inhibit legit ARS use and advancement.

ARS spectrum - Use it or lose it !!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  9. VE7JBX

VE7JBX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to OP. Intrigued me enough to start watching - nicely done video but after a bit in I guessed it might not be very applicable to the older IC-720A/RigBlaster Plus combo I have for digimode access. My interest was piqued enough however to just download Winlink and Winmor. There's lots of links to instructions, videos, etc but I thought I'd just make a first try at simply installing both programs and see how it went. "How complicated can it be?"
    Maybe surprising answer - not bad at all. I already knew things like RigBlaster COM port and input / output settings for HAMScope. Filling in those and a few other pretty self explanatory details in each of the Winlink and Winmor config screens, followed by the also self explanatory Channel Selector menu in Winmor to give me a likely successful frequency - and in less than 30 minutes start to finish had everything up and going, tested both incoming and outgoing mail both on a very local gateway (7 km, predicted connection 96% ) and a gateway ~1200 km away (74%). Both worked flawlessly.

First thing I've done with digi mode interface that I've really thought "OK, that's potentially very practical - I am glad I can do this!" So, even if I ignored almost everything but the video title, thanks for the impetus.

Now I am really intrigued to find someone to experiment with the peer-to-peer mode. I can think of locations/ applications where that could have great utility.

W0PV likes this.
  10. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought you didn't want any ALC? Your 90% looked like nearly max ALC.

11. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Ham Member QRZ Page

You should see a lot of the Winlink signals on 40m and 80m, they are just mashed into compression, amazing they can even be decoded.

ND6M likes this.
  12. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Todd- Have you checked with the KL7AA club in Anchorage? We used RMS Xpress (+ Pactor3) a bit while up there from 2010-2015. 73, Eric

13. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Haaa.. TN Tuxedo- "Chumlee. We've got to build a construction bridge, and we have three days to do it.. Let's go see Mr.Whoopie"

WD4ELG likes this.
  14. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

" ... and horses still wear iron shoes "

Actually steel shoes are the most common but aluminum ( especially for race horses ) and titanium shoes have their place as do new plastic types...

K2NCC likes this.
  15. VE7JMR

VE7JMR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi K0PIR,

In you ARDOP TNC Setup window (video 6 mins 35 secs) you have the "ARQ Bandwidth" setting configured as "2000MAX". With this setting, shouldn't your radio bandwidth (video 14 mins 21 secs) be at lease 2,000Hz or more?

Regards,

VE7JMR