ad: AbAuRe-1

E.F. Johnson Speed-X Bug 114-520 Manual Needed

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by WA6EEM, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA6EEM

WA6EEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does any know where I can get a manual for this beauty? Tried Google, this forum and e-ham. I've also tried using a Vibroplex instruction set. This is my first Bug. Thanks

2. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Manual? I"ve never seen a manual for any bug of any manufacturer.

Are you simply looking for this specific bug manual, or are you seeking general advice on setup and operating of a bug?

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Thar's a You Tube video for everything.... including adjusting bug keys.
    Try thar.
    I just finished the first episode of Brain Surgery For Dummies... ;)

4. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HI FRANK,

GREETINGS FROM SALEM, NH AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE IN THE NAVY.

AS STATED ABOVE, THERE ARE USUALLY NO MANUALS THAT ACCOMPANY A NEW BUG.

BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF GREAT SITES THAT CAN GIVE YOU SOME ADDITIONAL SCOOP
    ON THE SPEED-EX PRODUCTS.

CHECK OUT THESE TWO SITES FOR SOME GREAT SCOOP ON THE SPEED-EX PRODUCT LINE.

http://www.n7cfo.com/tgph/Dwnlds/mm/MMs/MM44.pdf

https://www.brundrit.co.uk/semi-automatic-bug-keys

ANOTHER GREAT SITE IS MANAGED BY W1TP.

http://w1tp.com/im8000b.htm

SOMEONE ABOVE DID MENTION YOU TUBE - THAT'S A SUPER SUGGESTION.

YOUR BEST BET WOULD BE TO GO TO THE YOU TUBE SITE AND DO A SEARCH
    ON THE INFO YOU NEED.

SOMETIMES YOU GET LUCKY ON YOU TUBE....

HAVE A HAPPY WEEKEND AND SMOOTH SAILING

73 - K1LKP

5. WA6EEM

WA6EEM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you all for the info. I've got it running now or at least making nice dits. It's way too fast for my fist and I think I've got it set to as slow as it will go. It's going to be hard to learn to use at about 20 wpm.

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Simply add more weight to the arm. In all my years with bugs, I've used a small stack of pennies stuck to the weight, added a 5/8" nut, etc. - anything to weight it so it's more to my liking. I don't use my bug often so prefer to keep it around 16 WPM or so.

These days, I just sourced another Vibroplex weight and slipped it on the shaft.

I suggest lots of practice with a CPO. Bugs take time to learn to use! The natural temptation is to make the "Dahs" waaaaayyyy too long vs. the speed of the dits. IMO, you should strive for the same ratio range you'd expect from a keyer. LOTS of folks can send on a bug and you'd never know they weren't using a keyer (@WA7PRC is one of them!).

But it takes practice... I can "sound like a keyer" for a while but it's impossible for me to keep it up for a long ragchew at anything faster than my 16 WPM - so that's the speed I use it :)

Dave
    W7UUU

N8AFT likes this.
  7. K2CD

K2CD Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a very nice bug, there. I used to own one and it was my favorite. I am pretty sure that Dave Ingram, W4TWJ (SK) covered this key in one of his books. I know I corresponded with him about it through snail mail, and I probably still have the letter somewhere. 20 - 22 WPM is about the slowest this one goes with the provided weight. As was mentioned in a previous post there are ways to add additional weight to the pendulum to slow it down further. Maybe you'll get lucky and come across another of the original Speed-X weights and just double them up. I liked the ease in how they adjusted by simply pushing the small tab and just sliding the weight. Much quicker than dealing with a knurled screw. It was ingenious. Good luck and enjoy your key.

8. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

By all means, take your time and get that thing slowed down and you adjusted to how it works making correct dihs and dahs...
    Not much worse than a mal-adjusted bug with a green fist on the point.... ;)
    Hope you get it on the air soon OM.
    VY 73

9. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just a hint: if you start developing a "bug swing", you'll start to hear lots of comparisons to this.... ;)

bana.jpg

10. WA6APN

WA6APN Ham Member QRZ Page

Just my take guy's. Sending with a bug should not sound like your using a keyer!! The word fist comes to mind. I'm not fast by any means,16 wpm to 20 wpm with a little bit of a swing !But that's the way my elmer taught me. My elmer was a navy radioman and commercial marine telegrapher. But that's just my take .
    73 Tom