E-Bay and PayPal scam

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WB1FFI, Aug 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB1FFI

WB1FFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I was recently scammed by a seller on E-Bay that used a legitimate user name with many positive feedbacks. The listing was detailed and was more than just a brief description of the item (amplifier). The crux of the scam was that the seller somehow got a hold of a tracking number from FedEx that showed the item was delivered to my zip code. The fact that the item weighed only 3 pounds (instead of 50 pounds) was never questioned by E-Bay or PayPal. When I never got the item, E-Bay had me file a police report as if the item was stolen from my porch. The Fed Ex tracker showed it was delivered to a person in my zip code but obviously not me. Fed Ex will not provide the intended receiver (me) of the item to check the proper address it was delivered to. They will only provide that information to the shipper who in this case is the scammer. Thankfully my local Fed Ex supervisors made an exception and provided me with the shipping address (which was a hotel in my zip code). The police were very helpful completing a full report and with the 2 documents I was able to recover my funds. So let the buyer beware that on E-Bay, there is this tracking number scam and they make it very difficult to recover funds from the fraudulent transaction.

K0UO, WB4IVF and K1LKP like this.
  2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing :(

3. N0YPD

N0YPD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This stuff is getting out of control. Its tempting to give up internet buying until corporations come up with some better protection.

K0UO likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

How does this have anything to do with QRZ Swap Meet forum? Does eBay no longer have a forum for scams?

YES, folks.... be careful buying online and YES it's getting worse.

But I fail to see the QRZ Swapmeet connection here.... This post is in a subforum of "QRZ Swapmeet" is why I ask.

QRZ now has arguably the safest ham radio online Swapmeet out there... Perfect? No - but pretty darn safe

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR and NN4RH like this.
  5. KA3BQE

KA3BQE Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I wonder if there is some characteristic of the FedEx tracking number that narrows it to a zip code? I've noticed all the FedEx tracking numbers I've had recently have a lot of similar prefix's. Might be something for someone to try in their copious free time.

K0UO likes this.
  6. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great idea! Let us know what you find out.

KA3BQE, K0UO, WB4IVF and 1 other person like this.
  7. K1LKP

K1LKP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

BARRY,

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO SHARE YOUR INCIDENT WITH THE FOLKS WHO
    FREQUENT THE QRZ FORUM.

THREE CHEERS FOR THE LOCAL FED EX SUPERVISOR WHO MADE THE EXCEPTION.

ITS JUST AMAZING THE NUMBER OF RASCALS OUT THERE WHO ARE READY TO
    RIP US OFF.

73 - K1LKLP

K0UO and WB4IVF like this.
  8. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Rascals? They're worthless feeders.

K0UO, WB4IVF and K1LKP like this.
  9. WB4IVF

WB4IVF Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that the eBay has nothing to do with the QRZ swapmeet, but I think it may be helpful to keep each other informed on what goes on elsewhere too, especially eBay, since there are often similarities between scams on different sites.

Anyway, some time ago I was searching on eBay for a comms receiver on eBay and ran across a high-grade radio at an incredibly low “buy it now” price. What made the listing different was that in the item description there was an embedded link titled “Click Here to Purchase” with instructions to click on the link instead of buying thru the usual eBay process. I didn’t bite and the listing and seller soon disappeared.

The next time I searched for a radio, this listing came up again, but from a different seller. This time I looked at other items this seller had, and was amazed at what I found. There were literally many hundreds of items (radios, cameras, exercise equipment, etc. etc.) with the same incredibly low prices and instructions to click on an embedded link in the description instead of following eBay’s process. That listing also soon disappeared, as did the seller.

This happened several more times when I ran my comms receiver search, each time this same item came up it was from a different seller. The last few times it came up there was a different twist: The description with instructions to click on the link were an image instead of in text (I assume to avoid eBay’s fraud-detection software), with the link inserted below the image. I never clicked on the links but assume they transferred the buyer to an external site that directed the buyer to send F&F, moneygrams, western union, etc. to get their great deals.

Each time the listings came up they were from a different seller, and in each case the seller had a pretty long eBay history with high feedback scores. I assume the sellers were somehow conned into giving out their login credentials and the scammers then hijacked their accounts, inserted their bait, and trolled for a few minutes or hours until eBay caught and closed them.

Howard

K0UO and KA2FIR like this.
  10. N9CM

N9CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Makes Hamfests look appealing again....

K0UO likes this.