ad: GNOHF-1

DXpedition funding: Early LoTW uploads and QSLing.

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by VA3VF, May 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not just make a list of big dollar donors, set up a frequency and call them one by one like the County Hunters and make sure they all get a ' contact' ' in the log ' ..... OVER ! over !

2. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A real plus to that is all the DQRMers would be concentrated on one frequency for a while :p

KQ0J likes this.
  3. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, to the maximum extent possibe and/or acceptable. I don't know what the percentage should be, or whether the goal should simply be to always cover the full financial cost, while the DXpeditioners are excempt from it by contributing with 'sweat equity' only.

It appears - and I'm usually wrong, so feel free to correct me - that you think the DXpeditioner should always bear part of the financial cost regardless. It may well be the best way to do it, if only to keep things 'amateur'.

Please note that I have never been part of a DXpedition. My observations are, sadly, of the 'armchair' type. I'm hesitant to criticize DXpeditioners, as I don't know what really goes on, and all that is involved.

But one thing is certain, DXpeds cost money. If they are to continue, they must be 'paid for' one way or the other.

4. VA3VF

It's all in a state of flux, but it would not surprise me if DX Foundations become irrelevant. We live in the era of 'direct participation'.

On the other hand, if DXpeditions become more and more financial engineering ventures, a big organization to vet and disbourse money may be required.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've actually heard something similar to that in the past. Disguised as a round-table for invited friends of the DX-op. It was pretty obvious what was going on.

KQ0J likes this.
  6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" I've actually heard something similar to that in the past. "

I have too! Thus my tongue in cheek post...

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

i always wondered if that happened... even if it does, is it any different than a schedule? There is something slightly non-sporting about it but can see it happened Especially since some DXPeditions will ONLY QSL via LoTW and OQRS.

8. K5WY

K5WY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure that's already happened, and I don't have a problem with it.

Expeditions are expensive. Expeditions to rare locations are often really expensive (why do you think they're rare?). Hams are notoriously cheap.

All the time you hear 'You expect me to pay for your vacation?' I submit that those hams have no idea what the time and financial commitment is for a 'rare location' expedition.

9. VA3VF

Yes, it happened with the recent Conway activation, and I had no problem with it at all. I sent a few $$, even though I did not make a single contact with the DXped. I thought the job was well done, and that was enough for me.