ad: M2Ant-1

DXpedition funding: Early LoTW uploads and QSLing.

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by VA3VF, May 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

This has been discussed in the past. Amounts have been thrown around. Some are for it, others are against it. I just received the following about the South Orkney Islands DX-pedition (AN-008) in an Ohio/Penn DX Special Bulletin:

"As with previous PDXG DX-peditions we are again offering a tiered structure
    for early LoTW upload (from the island) and free QSL cards at the $50 or
    greater level. Both offers have proven to be very popular with the DX
    community."

The amount mentioned is pretty much what I said it would likely be for this kind of enhanced service. The future is here folks.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

They are just trying to solicit donations for the cause. Nothing new about that.
    It's a lot like a PBS channel on TV during their donation drives. For a pretty good sum of money they will send you some free CD's and some other stuff that you can go out and buy if you want to anyway. It's just a way of saying thanks for the donation. It must work pretty well since they are always doing it.

Getting a QSL card or LOTW upload immediately isn't a big thing unless you just GOTTA submit it RIGHT NOW for DXCC credit. Maybe a big deal if it got you to your first DXCC certificate or it puts you on Honor Roll. Anything in between is a non event really. The only people that I know of that would just submit ONE card to DXCC are on Honor Roll and all time new ones are very infrequent.

K7GQ likes this.
  3. VA3VF

It has a lot to do with the migration from paper cards to online confirmations.

With a postal request, a donation was a given, most of the time. With online confirmations, not so much.

The DXpedition must cover its costs. So far nobody was left 'high and dry'. If one does not want the enhanced service, wait 6-12 months, and the LoTW match will show up.

KQ9J likes this.
  4. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

They try to get what they can back but I doubt that any of them EVER get back to even.
    The individuals know very well what to expect going in. It's a big gamble how it all plays out. I suspect none of them are "average income" kinda guys that would worry about it.
    And there ya go! If someone wants immediate gratification, they will have to pay for it! You can also usually just pay a few bucks with OQRS for a card after the fact and get the LOTW fairly quickly.
    Maybe you sent them $50 for an early donation but were never able to work them!! Tough!

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  5. VA3VF

In previous discussions about this, those that had access to DXpeditioners, or were DXpeditioners themselves, said that the DXpeditoner ends up covering about half the cost most of the time.

I think you are right on this. Those that are not, will likely be a one DXpedition 'wonder'.

I saw one of the members of last year's Bouvet DXpedition attempt in Dayton. He did not seem 'disturbed' but the expense he incurred at all. He is actually a member in an upcoming DXpedition.

This is why I don't see a problem with this new procedure. The day a DXpedition say, no money=no confirmation, another 'conversation' will ensue, I'm sure.

The DXpeditions I have seen up to now using this method, upload the contacts to ClubLog. People can go there and see if they are in the log, if yes, they can make an informed decision on whether to send for the enhanced service or not.

I don't think those donating early on would be upset if they do not work the DXpedition. I've heard of people making additional donations later on, to help cover shortfalls, or because they worked the DXpedition in more bands and modes than originally expected, etc.

Last edited: May 26, 2019
    K7MH likes this.
  6. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Those that donate early know that they are making the DXpedition possible. So yes, most of them are not upset if they don't make the Q. A chance beats no chance.

Even given that the DXpeditioners to top 100 DXpeditions themselves put up half the money, and they do, a large fraction of the DXpedition expenses must be paid before they set sail from {nice accessible place} to {difficult to reach place which is why they are going at all}.

It is those up-front contributions, whether from individuals or from foundations, that make DXpeditioning possible. The QSL money is nice, but it can only reduce the losses to the DXpeditioner. And that's if the DXpedition comes off. Most do, but we've seen two to Bouvet fail and just yesterday, a relatively easy one to T33 had to turn back due to bad weather. Those expeditions get zero QSL money, but the bills still have to be paid.

KB2FCV and K7MH like this.
  7. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Dxpeditions have been awarding early donors with early LoTW uploads for a while. That is the price they set, and there will be people who don't hesitate at all to pay it. When I can afford it I am more than happy to pay $25 or $50 in advance to expeditions, otherwise I still add something extra during OQRS. By supporting these teams this hopefully allows them to plan other dxpeditions in the future.

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

While I suspect you mean they must offset a portion of it's cost, that is the fundamental change which seems prevalent now but never was before. There was a time people paid their own expenses and were hopefully subsequently reimbursed without the current form of extortion used to elicit prompt confirmation. Times have changed.

And no, it wasn't cheaper historically. It costs less in the past but so too was the value of money.

9. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll pay OQRS after the expedition for a quicker LoTW. . .but 25-50 seems high. The dues I pay to various DX clubs also subsidize the various operations but I get no special privileges from that.

10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not just make a list of big dollar donors, set up a frequency and call them one by one like the County Hunters and make sure they all get a ' contact' ' in the log ' ..... OVER ! over !