DXing are there countries we are not allowed to contact

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4AEQ, Nov 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As an 11 year old, just a year before getting my novice ticket, I was an SWL'er. I sent an SWL card to Radio Moscow. A few months later (honest truth) an FBI agent showed up at our house to inquire why someone at our address was communicating with the Soviet Union. The investigation did not last long when my father and I showed the Agent my receiver and my collection of SWL cards from a number of different countries.

W4KYR, KC7JNJ and K8AI like this.
  2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

The ITU has absolutely no enforcement powers or, for that matter, any enforcement responsibilities. It is a voluntary organization established by international treaties. Definitions, regulations, etc., are subject to acceptance by individual countries and there are numerous situations where exceptions are taken to these definitions, regulations, and so forth by specific governments.

Basically, the role of the ITU is to set forth guidelines for telecommunications to render interconnections, etc., convenient for communications worldwide. Fortunately, most countries have accepted the general purposes of these guidelines and, with what are generally minor exceptions, the system is working.

Glen, K9STH

W4NNF likes this.
  3. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Never been there, no desire to go. Yes I know people that have escaped the commies in China and they now live and worship here in peace. They have some very strong firsthand opinions on China. It's really a despicable nation, we shouldn't trust anything they do.

4. KB9BVN

I'll see your empty demand and raise you one...

Show me anywhere anyone said I had to?

K8AI likes this.
  5. KB9BVN

Before the communists took over (1949) they were worthy allies. Before Mao and his thugs murdered a few dozen million of those unarmed folks. Before they started murdering clergy and burning churches. All before the communists took over. Over?

6. KB9BVN

Hard to do on FT8. I see your point.

7. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Having traveled to several Asian countries for business including China, I think you might be quite surprised. One often needs to distinguish between ordinary people and their governments (even here at home once in a while). The more personal contacts we can have with various people the more understanding and better world we will have. Ham radio can help with that, and did so even during the Cold War.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

- Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad / Roughing It.

W9YW, KK7AMB, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Fearless Leader wouldn’t grant me a visa. I’m not sure what he was afraid of...

9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope.

And for that matter...

I’ve never been to Spain. But I’ve been to Oklahoma.

WZ7U likes this.
  10. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

You feel superior now? Good.