ad: M2Ant-1

DXing are there countries we are not allowed to contact

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4AEQ, Nov 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

ITU Article 1 - Terms and definitions

1.56 amateur service: A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training,
    intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, by duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

FCC Part 97.3 Definitions

(4) Amateur service. A radiocommunication service for the purpose of self-training,
    intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs, that is, duly authorized persons interested in radio technique solely with a personal aim and without pecuniary interest.

Holy cut & paste, it sure looks like the ITU & FCC are in perfect agreement about the definition of Amateur Service. :D

Also note in the ITU document, Section I - General Terms

1.2 administration: Any governmental department or service responsible for discharging the obligations undertaken in the Constitution of the International Telecommunication Union, in the Convention of the International Telecommunication Union and in the Administrative Regulations (CS 1002).

More official clarification that just claiming to have authority to make up a call sign is not good enough to satisfy the ITU and hence their treaty members like the USA-FCC.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand your logic in trying to link the ITU and FCC in this context, but I think it's quite a stretch. The ITU doesn't license anyone, so they don't get to decide who is duly authorized. And 97.3(4) doesn't refer to the ITU in defining the amateur service, nor does it even distinguish between foreign and domestic services. Furthermore in this context there's no reference to the ITU in 97.111, authorized transmissions or 97.113, prohibited transmissions. (The only reference is in the context of countries notifying the ITU that they don't wish to have amateur contacts.)

Thanks for the discussion and your opinion, but I will continue to respectfully disagree with it.

3. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever been to China? How many Chinese people do you know well?

Much like our own country, don't confuse the government with the people they're suppose to represent. :)

KU4X, WZ7U, WE4B and 1 other person like this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

People are just people the world over. Scratch through the cultural and governmental skin and surprise! - we're all the same!

One of my favorite aspects of ham radio is talking to people all over the world and learning a bit about them and where they live.

WA9SVD, WE4B and K2NCC like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

WFWL

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

How about Mooselvania?

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Show me where anyone is forcing you to do this.

8. WX7P

WX7P XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Or Pottsylvania?

9. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You hit the nail on the head. The Chinese people risked their lives to save downed American pilots in WWII. They also did this for the Flying Tigers...

K2NCC and K1VSK like this.
  10. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fair enough. Thanks also for the discussion.

In the spirit of the question posed in the OP by @N4AEQ, I just wanted to point out that while the FCC currently does not prohibit contact with specific countries, IMO that does not mean it is always officially permissible to engage in transmissions with everybody encountered within the ham bands.

Both stations must follow rules. Foremost is to be duly authorized by an officially sanctioned through treaty national administration as a station in the amateur radio service. Operation includes identifying properly with a call sign that is officially internationally recognized.

Misunderstanding or ignoring those rules, by either station, is done at the peril of generating complaints and violations. Beware the actual execution of those is rare but not nonexistent, as the letter from FCC Smith is evidence.

Brevity of contact and otherwise good on-air behavior apparently makes the activity of QSO's with quasi-legal DX special event stations accepted by many; though beware of DQRM from outraged sovereigns.

IMO, in this context it is not offensive to enjoy a more relaxed innocent free-for-all attitude on-the-air and just have fun!

73, John, WØPV

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019