ad: ProAudio-1

DXing are there countries we are not allowed to contact

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4AEQ, Nov 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Other places like Donetsk above that may also fall onto a FCC "gray area" taboo list because, well, they are not really recognized countries (yet) are,

- The Principality of Sealand, call sign prefix S1A etc

- Transnistria, call sign T10VB, activated by globetrotting DX'er Vlad, UA4WHX

- Bir Tawil, desolate yet contested territory, call sign 1U4UN, activated by Dima RA9USU.

Checking my station log, lets just say its good that document is no longer a regulatory requirement; I plead the Fifth. :p

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    KK4CUL likes this.
  2. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not in modern history have an administration prohibited radio amateurs within their jurisdiction to contact specific countries.

The provision in ยง1 of Article 25 of the ITU-RR for an administration to object to communications with other amateurs is of a more general nature.

It makes it legally possible to confine amateur radio in a country to national contacts only, and it was such objections that were behind the "Banned countries lists" of yesteryear.
    A radio amateur in, say, Cambodia, was prohibited from contacting any foreign amateurs.

To be effective, there must be notifications at the State Department level to the ITU. For this reason, parts of the world where there are no formal administrations cannot object to "their" radio amateurs contacting other amateurs.

The ban on third party traffic comes out of the 1932 Madrid Radio Regulations. At this conference, it was noted by the European powers that the US and the ARRL encouraged third-party traffic handling, and quite strong language was written into the regulations to prevent this on an international scale.
    This was during a time when amateur radio and commercial circuits had comparable performance.

During the years since 1932 the language has softened somewhat, and today most administrations do not care about any third-party traffic handling, international or not.

The objections that may arise today are more of a matter of principle, third-party traffic handling is not seen as being in accordance with the international definition of amateur radio.

And, strictly speaking, it is not.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

3. N4QX

N4QX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

4. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice RED meat!

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

6. NL7W

NL7W Ham Member QRZ Page

P5's are imaginary.

And, they are il advised...

K7KBN likes this.
  7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

As a rule I don't communicate with China.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope. It would be quite permissible as long as they don't object over there. Since prohibited states are:

"Any country whose administration has notified the ITU that it objects to such communications."

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't very often, but I'd like to. ;)

10. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget Liberland http://lara.ll.land/

Rich - 1L3R

W0PV likes this.