DXing are there countries we are not allowed to contact

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4AEQ, Nov 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. XZ2A

XZ2A Ham Member QRZ Page

As a 'non-political' British ham, I happily live permanently in the communist country of Laos. Apart from a recent event when the local police thought that I was a spy (they know nothing about ham radio), I've never had any contact with any government or police, and am left to live in this very peaceful (and communist) country. I can do what I want (within limits), and it's certainly a lot more peaceful and safe than the UK, USA etc etc :)

VK4HAT and KP4SX like this.
  2. WH2HAO

WH2HAO QRZ Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, Laos is fun, spent a lot of time there myself.

3. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What about the Conch Republic do they have a ham ticket lol
    [​IMG]

4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have to worry too much about putting RF into prohibited places. I barely put RF into places that want to hear a weak W station. :D

Is the prohibited list still a thing?

VK4HAT and KP4SX like this.
  5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WZ7U likes this.
  6. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That used to be the case with some countries, Dunno if any still apply that prohibition.

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The FCC doesn't ban countries.

The rule is we can communicate with any nation except those that object to such communications. I don't believe there are any that do that per se at the moment. What you have is countries like the DPRK where ham radio is (supposedly) not banned but also not active.

9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nah, not Elbonia. You're thinking of the Duchy of Fenwick. :D

KB9BVN likes this.
  10. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

come to think of it, i believe there was some kind of law or restriction against contacting ets:

Is it illegal for Americans to make contact with aliens?

• Strangely enough, this law has been misinterpreted by some, who believed that the law made it illegal for Americans to make contact with aliens. The law was repealed in 1977, after several successful space missions by NASA showed that astronauts were not carrying back contaminants from space.