DXing are there countries we are not allowed to contact

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N4AEQ, Nov 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4AEQ

N4AEQ Ham Member QRZ Page

May sound odd, but are there any countries we are not allowed a qso? Is there a list of ones that are not allowed to contact us?

2. KD8SLQ

KD8SLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Currently there are no banned countries per the FCC and US Government. There are foreign countries that don't want anyone talking to citizens on ham radio like North Korea and Yemen, but they have not contacted the US to request no contact. Instead they simply keep their citizens from having and talking on radios. Effect is the same.

K0UO likes this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The last Prohibited Countries List was dropped in the 1960's.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have it on good authority that unless you're Jodie Foster, you're not allowed to contact Martians.
    upload_2019-11-14_10-56-50.jpeg upload_2019-11-14_10-57-4.jpeg

K0UO, VK6APZ, W2AI and 1 other person like this.
  5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Not Martians! Vegans! That signal was from Vega...

PU2OZT, KC3RN, N2EY and 3 others like this.
  6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Vegans are okay; more meat for me.

PU2OZT, KD0CAC, KC3RN and 8 others like this.
  7. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah. Meat is good. :D

PU2OZT, NL7W, VK6APZ and 1 other person like this.
  8. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are many countries with which we are not allowed to exchange third party traffic, so check the list before you allow someone to use your microphone, and don't close a contact with Russia by asking the other op to give your salutations to Mr. Putin.

Note that there seems to be little rhyme nor reason to the division of countries into those that allow or dissallow third party traffic, so you really should carefully check each country if you're contemplating this.

But if it doesn't involve third parties, no worries.

9. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Back sometime around 1963 I was an avid SWL hobbyist. And I would send QSL requests to most of the foreign stations I logged. One in particular sticks out in my head, a station in Czechoslovakia. What I received back was a letter from the U.S. government (FCC or USPS maybe, I can't recall) stating that the station was sending me communist propaganda and asking me if I wished to receive it. I was just a kid, and thought "yikes!" So I responded "NO!" After that I sent no more QSL requests to SWBC stations in eastern Europe.

NT6D and N0TZU like this.
  10. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Elbonia has been banned from radio contact since the Treaty of 1847 between Elbonia and East Tanakneeah

KN1M likes this.