DXCC Digital - 5 weeks

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by KE8KMX, Sep 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE8KMX

KE8KMX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just got done giving the ARRL my credit card info for DXCC Digital. I got WSJT-X working 5 weeks ago yesterday. Shootin fish in a barrel.

Gino
    KE8KMX

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So now go for your ARRL “Triple Play” award... give yourself an actual CHALLENGE

Takes most folks YEARS yet it’s only a variation of the lowly “Worked all States”

Ain’t quite so easy. ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO likes this.
  3. KE8KMX

Triple play is WAS Phone, Digital and CW, right? I have the phone and digital part already. I don't think I will ever be able to do CW, ever. I am tone deaf .

Gino
    KE8KMX

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

So go for your Worked and CONFIRMED All Zones then! (WAZ... a CQ award much sought after)

There are LOTS of challenges in ham radio that are NOT “fish in a barrel”

How about worked and CONFIRMED all counties in your state?

Then all counties in the 8th district...

Or how about work and CONFIRM all counties in all 50 states?

Even in “full unattended auto mode” it will take YEARS for WAZ and All US Counties....

Or how about a fun one ... work and confirm all stations operating in Antarctica during one calendar year... what’s your total so far of those?

LOTS of “real” challenges left...

Dave
    W7UUU

AG5DB and W1TRY like this.
  5. KE8KMX

Dear Dave

Chill out

I am mocking the fact that I got "paper" as easily as I could. I txt'ed my Elmer the first nite I played with ft8 and said "it should not count". I got 32 "countires" that nite and 19 new ones the next.

K0UO likes this.
  6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to a phone call from James @K0UA I started my FT8 experience this past June 11. In six weeks I had WAS and Digital DXCC. He said what Dave @W7UUU said:

7. W7UUU

I’m totally chill!

You’re really missing my point and that’s kinda sad. You don’t get my point but I’ll leave it to you to figure it out. Maybe you will... and open a huge world of ham radio

Carry on and have fun either way - it’s all good. Congrats on FT8 DXCC in 5 weeks!! :)

Dave
    W7UUU

AG5DB likes this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have worked from contest stations that easily get DXCC in a weekend, during a DX contest. Glad you got DXCC in 5 weeks - when the band is open, and you have the time, it's possible in other modes as well. FT8 is where the DX is today - tomorrow, who knows!

And certainly it should count if you got it.

W2VW likes this.
  9. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL offers a 5 Band DXCC that requires DXCC on 80M, 40M, 20M, 15M, and 10M. It took just three months for me to collect the QSLs for 80M DXCC runnng 100W to a wire vertical.
    Mostly CW back in 2013. I just got the plaque with endorsements for 160, 30, 17, and 12 meters.

There is also the DXCC challenge for working 1000 band countries. I'm over 2300 confirmed and hope to get past 2500 in solar cycle 25. If I don't l may need to put up a tower for cycle 26.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  10. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Shootin fish in a barrel" combined with W7UUU's “full unattended auto mode” just doesn't sound like one is actually working DX at all.

Randy / WB9LUR

VK6APZ and K8PG like this.