ad: MyersEng-1

DXCC and Remote operating

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AJ2I, Jul 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. AJ2I

AJ2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Can someone explain WHY the ARRL has allowed remotely operated stations to count towards DXCC? I remember WAS had a 50 mile restriction. What is the reasoning?

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

DXers demanded it. Primarily those with the money to create (and then rent time to others on) major remote stations.

DM2TT, K0UO, WA1GXC and 2 others like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The trend with a lot of things is to lower the standards to fit the lowest common denominator. That plus the more DXCC applications, the more revenue for the League

DM2TT, NL7W, N2OTG and 4 others like this.
  4. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Cheaters, cuckolds ... If they like it, well!

VK6APZ, KD2UHF, KK9W and 2 others like this.
  5. AJ2I

AJ2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All pointing to money , got it. :(

K0UO likes this.
  6. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Nothing like a little pecuniary interest.

NL7W, W3TKB and K0UO like this.
  7. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As I understand it, the number of DXers who view DXCC as a lifelong journey have issues with the imposition of a geographic restriction. If you don't have a geographic restriction on DXCC contact eligibility, that opens the doors to counting contacts when traveling, counting contacts made from a friend's/club's station, etc. Also, how life's circumstances oblige some folks to move into residences where having your own antenna isn't permitted, the increasing difficulty of finding acceptable housing stock without antenna restrictions in some areas, and the entrance of new hams who lived in antenna-restricted development before discovering the joy of DXing...remoting is increasingly "a thing".

I understand that the League is considering / may soon announce an endorsement for DXCC to recognize those who made their contacts from within a particular geographic radius. I'd rather they just introduced a discrete flavor of DXCC with a geographic constraint (since the genie is already out of the bottle on the existing DXCC)...but I understand there is a cost and complexity consideration making that a less-desirable option in the minds of the decision makers.

(Disclosure: I enjoy playing with remote stations, as I enjoy the hunt and the pileup as well as enjoying the magic of HF propagation in part by experiencing it from different locales. But DXing is a personal goal of mine, so I'm not invested in the "prestige" of any particular award, even though I like the old-style plaques.)

8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

All true if you accept the premise the award is the goal rather than the accomplishment

W0FS, N1EN and WN1MB like this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope.

K7MH likes this.
  10. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No they didn't.
    It's been like that for all the 50 years I have been around. It has probably always been like that. I am just not familiar with the DXCC rules from over 50 years ago when I started so cannot be certain beyond that point. It was like that long before anyone was capable of remotely operating a station like can be done now via the internet.

All any of these awards, contests, etc. are for is to promote increased activity on any and all the ham bands. It all comes down to the perception of "use it or lose it" which may or may not be a big concern in these days but no doubt it was at one time.

Bottom line is you can approach your personal DXCC achievement in whatever way you want to.
    There are only so many endorsements that the ARRL recognizes but who cares? If you want to do it in a particular manner or limitation then just do it!!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    W0FS, W4NNF and N2EY like this.