DX reciprocity?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by Pushraft, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. Pushraft

Pushraft Banned

Not ready yet

Not true. I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable of antennas and related stuff but I failed 1 of 7 practice exams. Some questions are hard to guess the answers to if you dont know them. I mentioned ITU to a General Class ham and his "answer" was International Thermal Units! I'm not kidding either.

The advice given to me that I will be taking is if I can consistantly get about 90% or more correct on the practice exams, then I should be ready for the real test. I dont need to get 100% correct but I dont want to "squeak by" either with say a 25 out of 35 for 71.4 % or worse yet fail. Because I DID fail one practice exam I dont feel ready yet.

2. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing I can see from this post here, is you need to study some on basic electronic theory. Ohm's law, schematics, basic circuits, etc. If you have this stuff down pat, then you should be able to pass the Tech exam with no issues at all.

More or less I=VR (Or in hamspeak, I=ER) and basic algebra will give you the rest.

Knowing the general operating practice rules:
    1) You are always responsible for your transmissions, and the operation of the station you are using.
    2) The owner of the station is always responsible for it's operation.
    3) You must be a good citizen (Back off a freq if it's in use, and FWIW it sounds like some current hams need to remember this too)
    4) Always use lowest power possible (Again, seems like some current hams need to remember this).

With those 4 rules, and knowledge of Ohm's law, you should have no problems passing the tech ticket. And some are inclusive, don't read too much logic (ie 1&2 are inclusive. You as owner, and guest operator are both responsible for proper operation,3&4 work hand in hand, et al)

The rest of the knowledge about antenna design, best rig/shack/software setups come with experimentation, and the experience that follows such experimentation. Books alone won't do it.

So, like Nike says: "Just do it."

3. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, stupid typo and I can't edit a post, V=IR... Or E=IR...

4. Pushraft

Pushraft Banned

I do have MURS gear. I dont have any LMR gear. My understanding is you can use ANY antenna for listening to FRS freqs on a scanner. I have a HF rig too but it goes below 3 Mhz so is that MF? There is still quite a bit of stuff I want to test on license free bands so that is why I am not in a big rush for my Tech ticket. At least I can use the 150 Mhz MURS and 450 Mhz UHF antennas for 2m and 70cm respectively when the time comes. I like the dual functionality of them. Lucky for me.

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

::Don't go for the Tech license, go straight for the General, it's only more questions and they're not difficult.

But in any case, the advantage of even the Tech is instead of MURS where you can run 2W, on 146 MHz you can run 1500W if you wish. Or anything below that. The "average" 146 MHz hand-held transceiver runs 5W output, and the average mobile unit runs 50W. We are not limited to ERP at all, so if you want to design a 20 dB gain antenna for your 50W rig, you'd be at 5kW ERP quickly; the same 20 dB gain antenna connected to your 1500W rig yields 150kW ERP.

There are hundreds of hams worldwide who run millions of Watts ERP on the 144 MHz band: Not difficult if you have the space for large home station antennas with 30 dB gain. And not only is that possible, it's put into practice daily by a lot of stations. One notable one here in America is W5UN, you can see his antenna system at http://www.w5un.com

The other advantage, of course, is that we can run more efficient modes than FM. SSB has about a 10 dB S/N advantage over FM (at any power level) and CW has another 10 dB or so advantage over that, as does PSK31 digital mode. The WSJT digi modes are even better than CW and can provide about a 26 dB S/N advantage over FM. Thus, using ordinary equipment lots of hams use, it's possible to copy a station that's 26 dB weaker using this mode than you could possibly copy using MURS, all else being identical.

Problem with the hobby bands that are not licensed (amateur radio being the only hobby that is licensed) is they're very restricted with regard to mode of operation and certification of equipment.

Hams can use any mode at all, and hams are responsible for "inventing" many of the modes in use. And we're allowed to homebrew our own transmitters. We are the only radio service in the world where that's allowed.

WB2WIK/6

6. Pushraft

Pushraft Banned

Very interesting stuff Steve (WB2WIK) but in all fairness, license free bands have advantages too:

1) cheap radios
    2) no license required
    3) "free for all" make for more intersting listening sometimes
    4) no callsigns
    5) testing is easy, no station IDs required
    6) non licensed people like family members can help you test
    7) readily available radios
    8) radios are small and FRS can even fit in your shirt pocket
    9) no DX fading for FRS (cuz there is no DX on that band)

To satisfy my curiosity, I dont see any reason why I can continue using both license free now and eventually licensed stuff when I get my ticket.

7. KJ4AUR

KJ4AUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Removed May 07, 2009

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, license free bands have no advantage over what I've had available since I was licensed at the age of 13.

I've listened on CB, but never used it -- I never understood what the attraction was, when ham radio is so much better and a license costs virtually nothing.

I always thought the "old" ham radio, when Morse code proficiency was required -- was so easy that any idiot could qualify, and we've surely had more than our fair share of those. Nowadays, it's easier: No code test, and all the questions and answers are published (they never were back in the "old" days).

The advantage of being able to "switch bands" to any one of 100+ bands available to us (yep, there are that many) has great appeal. We have one MF band, 8 HF bands, 3 VHF bands, 4 UHF bands, and more than 70 SHF-EHF-microwave bands at our disposal. Hams have more frequency allocations than anybody, taking advantage of the "grandfather" principle still observed (thankfully) because hams were using the radio frequency bands before anybody else was.

All this for less than a dollar a year in license fees!

Can't beat it.

WB2WIK/6

9. N5KRC

N5KRC Ham Member QRZ Page

You're right, there is no reason you're not free to leech off of everyone's knowledge here and apply that to your CB station you have now.

10. Pushraft

Pushraft Banned

Well as I have stated before, it is quite an elite group. Very knowledgable. Nothing at all like most airhead CBers. I didnt realize there were close to 100 bands I thought there were like a dozen or two.

My understanding is I have to take both a Tech exam and a General exam I cant just skip the Tech is that correct? If you remember my timeline I stated 2008 was a study year and 2009 I will get licensed.

Taking jabs at me and saying some of my questions are stupid or not applicable to ham radio or that I am a troll trying to pick the brains of hams to tweak my CB and I will never get licensed is not a good way to recruit newbies.

I am on my own schedule and dont let people pressure me. I think one reason many people want me to get licensed is so they can find out who I am so they dont have to keep calling me "Push".

Just remember where you all started at. At one point you all knew nothing about radio. It is a very technical hobby. Not everyone has the same goals entereing into it. I am happy to listen in for now on HF.

In 2009 maybe I can contact some of you but dont expect a booming signal from 100 watts thru an attic dipole. Hope ya'll got some good S/N ratios. They might need to make a new mode for me. PCW for Pushcraft CW. I'll need about 40dB advantage over FM. That is, my station is such a POS, you'll need eight 12 element 20m beam antennas stacked and bayed at about 1000 ft up and might even need to explode a nuclear device periodically in the upper atmosphere for some extra ionization in the F1 and F2 layers and if there is a meteor shower and a full moon that day, then I might break the whooshing static sound a little so then you will all know I am alive and well although my rig and attic will probably be on fire from the 27:1 SWR because I forgot to solder one of the connectors to my SO-239 and it popped off and the alligator clip I had connected to the center pin of the SO-239 also popped off and my coax had a short in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.