DX reciprocity?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by Pushraft, Nov 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Up until now, most hams have found it very difficult to make contacts of 500 miles or less on 20 meters. Most hams resort to using 40 or 80 meters for these distances.

This is true even though they are using a wide variety of antennas, at a wide variety of heights.

I look forward to seeing your results to break this long streak of failure. When you have your antenna for reliable 500 mile paths on 20 meters (or better yet, 15 or 10 meters), please post your results, as I would be interested in constructing such an antenna myself.

It can't be all that difficult, and I for one am confident that you will be the one to finally pull it off.

2. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Given the fact that almost anyone with an IQ above 70 can get a license these days I suspect this guy already has one and is playing everyone for suckers.

3. KJ4AUR

KJ4AUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Removed May 07, 2009

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  4. Pushraft

Pushraft Banned

Well first of all, I found my rig has a problem with the main SO-239 port so even if I wanted to Tx I dont think I could. I found this out because I had weak Rx and when I tried the rigs Rx only port, it worked much better.
    I am having enough challenge just trying to get my Rx to quiet down with this attic antenna. I think it is somewhat amusing how some of you think I either already have my license, or wont be getting it ever, or am already transmitting on my rig. It was measure and cut here for my attic dipole. One other thing, I am generally slow at things. It takes me months or sometimes years to get around to things I could do this week so part of the "problem" is that so just be patient.

So far the one who has me "pegged" is Steve WB2WIK. He pretty much knows my real intentions. He was also skeptical when he saw a few of my earlier posts but then changed his mind and called me the "real deal". He might be better at "reading" people than others here. He is very good at answering my questions and for that I am very grateful for.

So you can all think what you want but my goal is pretty straightforward which is to use the rest of 2008 to study, ask questions, take practice exams, get my rig fixed, find a way to quiet my rig using the attic dipole antenna... In 2009, I plan of getting a Tech and General ticket or at least taking the exams for them.

I believe I am younger than the average ham so there is really no rush. It is lucky for me that many of the license free bands I use to experiment on are very close to amateur bands in frequency so antennas I have, purchase, tune... can be dual purpose.

So now that that is all cleared up, I will continue to .... oh wait, my parrot is hungry.

5. KJ4AUR

KJ4AUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Removed May 07, 2009

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  6. AC2BB

AC2BB Ham Member QRZ Page

What license free bands?

other than CB what other license-free bands are there for HF or MF and then there's FRS for UHF but you cant use a modified or external antenna? I guess you have MURS for VHF but I've never seen you mention you had any MURS gear unless your using a modified HAM or land mobile radio.

7. EI6GXB

EI6GXB Ham Member QRZ Page

S/N ratio ftw!! Up a mountain on my car battery > in my house. Worked QRP into eastern europe, with fantastic reports.

Could I do that with the same antenna in my attic? Noooooo

L

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  8. Pushraft

Pushraft Banned

I'll let you know if I can hear anyone outside of the USA clearly with my attic 20m dipole antenna. I thought I heard someone today close in for the first time but I cant confirm it. I looked up the callsign and it was about 500 miles but I am not sure if that was the callsign of the person I heard or someone else they were talking to that I didn't hear. I would like to be able to hear some "locals" about 500 miles away but the majority of the callsigns I get here are in the 1000-1500 mile range. I am probably getting single hop DX and not much more due to my low gain attic dipole.

I'll try listening with headphones and see if I can get anyone shorter or longer than that range.

9. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

DPO:

I believe that you are off by a factor of 10. More like 7! Remember that my cat Arnie likes to send CW. I haven't tried him with any theory but he probably can do a multiple choice test without any problem. :rolleyes:

Glen, K9STH

10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glen, print out the extra test and put a little dab of pate on each correct answer. Turn Arnie loose on it and video tape it. It would be a hit on U tube as your cat scores 100.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.