DX QSLing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KB1FGC, Jan 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,I always send an Envelope and money when asking for a QSL card.But I wanted to know if the envelope is needed.Just wondering what most hams do?
    Thanks

2. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have sent money and a self-addressed envelope to three countries so far. All three have sent back cards. Seems to work fine - as long as it's not a country that has suspended mail service due to the virus. Check their QRZ page; many list specific requirements and some DX ops even state how much money to send to cover postage from their country.

In another case, RU3OW needed NC on 160 to complete WAS; he paid the freight to get his card to me and I paid for the international stamp to get my card to him. We set it up via email and away the cards went.

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If it’s through a qsl manager, definitely include an envelope.

If direct, it’s not as crucial but a proper size airmail envelope is a good idea.

4. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's always best to check the station's listing on QRZ.com for specific instructions. The QRZ.com listing might point you to a website with specific information. Most cases you will be just fine sending an SAE and $2. Avoid using your call sign on the envelopes to avoid theft. And conceal your cash inside the SAE.

But check for unusual situations and read the fine print. Some require more than $2 and some use PayPal or a QSL manager somewhere else in the world. Some only use OQRS (On-line QSL Request) some of which are unique in how they process QSL requests. Some might say OQRS via Club Log, which is a good way to get your confirmation.

5. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I QSL no matter where an operator lives when they send me a card....no SASE required on my end. I am not some sort after DX entity so I don’t have a problem paying for a stamp.

Today I mailed out 2 cards to an operator from the Slovak Republic that sent a card via the Bureau for a couple of phone contacts we made in 2016 on 40 and 20. It was the only card in the Bureau envelope I received, so I chose to just respond direct to him....it cost me a whopping $1.20.

I hardly ever ask for someone’s card, but when I do, I follow their QSL instructions via their Zed page.

My only time being skunked (so far) was when I sent a couple of requested green stamps to an op in the South Cook Islands.....I would hate to think a fellow op would just pocket my money...:eek:

So instead I suspect someone at the South Cook Island post office made themselves 2 American dollars richer. :(

WZ7U likes this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

For DX stations using ClubLog OQRS for example, they do not want envelopes, just PayPal them the amount requested, and that's all.

Within the US, for a US based manager, I think a SASE is the best way to go.

7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you're right Tony, because I got one of his cards no problem. Maybe try again, using the precautions listed earlier.

KE0GXN likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

If using a "buro" for outgoing cards, check first. Some QSL managers won't even accept envelopes; they insist(?) upon CASH (or the Pay-Pal equivalent,) and then provide the cards in envelopes they provide. (But there is no doubt about it, YOU are paying for the envelope as well as the postage.) That is a (small) price you (or I) have to pay for the "buro" service.

If QSLing direct for DX, there are a few guidelines:
    1. Follow instructions on QRZ or wherever else directions are listed, else you probably won't get a card back.
    2. Lacking that,
    a. Use an SAE envelope
    b. Usually provide sufficient monies to cover postage at the DX's postal rate, not the U.S. rate
    c. Use IRC's IF they are unexpired; most DX will be able to use them (unless indicated otherwise.)
    d. If sending "green stamps" (i.e. US paper currency) disguise it in an additional sheet of paper so there is NO sign of it on the outside
    e. Do NOT use an amateur call sign on EITHER YOUR envelope TO the DX, or the SAE. A call sign on either is a signal to the (few, but there are some) dishonest postal workers who will open such envelopes just to see if cash is enclosed; the rest usually gets tossed in the "circular file." (Club stations may make it impossible to not use a call sign, or other indication, but in general DON'T do it!)
    f. Keep a log; it is the ONLY way to accurately remember and confirm a QSO; I've gotten requests for a QSL card that are 5 or more years old, (especially via the "buro,) and there are few if any people that can "remember" such a contact.
    g. Be patient. Even if YOU send a card direct, the DX station may reply via the "buro."
    h. Remember, for one reason or another, some DX stations just won't send a card in return, for one reason or another. Unfortunate, but true.
    i. Above all, HAVE FUN!

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Which reminds me, I wonder how many (if any) DX cards I've missed from the buro by not keeping current?

10. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Eric, I just wanted to let you know I got that card today! You were right about him. Thanks and 73.

WZ7U likes this.