ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KB0OU

KB0OU Subscriber QRZ Page

work dx

To work dx:
    Get a third shift job--Not as much competition during the day on week days.
    Work the weekend-- DITTO
    Put up a real good antenna-- Beam for Upper HF bands.
    Know your radio -- get on frequency.
    Listen -- Learn how they operate.
    Get about 1200 Watts to the antenna. Nuthin like QRU.

Hope this helps, it works for me.

John kb0ou:eek:

2. KB0OU

KB0OU Subscriber QRZ Page

QRU

Woops!
    I ment QRO not QRU, but then I am often both.:confused:

3. KE5KTU

KE5KTU Ham Member QRZ Page

something you may want to consider.... If you can't break the pile up, move away from the DX station and start calling CQ DX, it will be the dx stations trying to break the pile up then.
    Jake

4. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

The most important thing is to listen, as other stated.

You'll want to figure out if he's working split or he's working direct. If he's working split, you'll want to determine if he's listening on one frequency or if he's moving around. If he's moving around, it helps to try and tune around to find the guy he's working. If he's listening up 1-3.. you're going to spend a lot more time calling if you sit on one frequency vs finding where he's listening and transmitting there.

As others stated, try to figure out his pattern. There are many operators who can pick a call out right away. Then there are some that will pick out the last guy who transmitted after the pileup quieted down. Again, listening is key.

For CW, it's important to use Full Break-in if you can so you can hear if the DX station transmits.

I've worked upwards of 100 countries from home with an indoor antenna when the band conditions are right. A little luck with the propogation and some good skills, it's possible with the 'little station'.

5. KB1RRT

KB1RRT Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have extensive experience, but I'll offer my meager bit...

...if your rig has voice compression, turn it on - readability is more important than hi-fi audio
    ...figure out how high you can crank your mic gain without distortion and run it at max
    ...don't blurt out your call to beat the other guys. say it slow enough that a non-English speaker can decipher it. Not super slow, but don't race either.

I'm running 100W into a G5RV with a less than ideal feedline from a 1980's vintage radio and have got through pretty reliably - often the first time I throw out my call. But that may honest just be dumb luck! I've been at it on HF for less than a month!

6. KQ7W

KQ7W Ham Member QRZ Page

quick tip (from when I was "DX" and this drove me mad)

Dont repeat the other guy's call when calling him on freq, Psst, he knows his call already, just throw your call out there..

Also (this applies to non-dx stations as well, since its common sense), if the guy just gives you a report, come back to him with just a report, he might not be interested in your name or state (or rig, or antenna or power or pet's name or weather..etc..etc..) (u just need call and report to log a valid QSO)

GL !

7. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Uuuhhhhmmmm . . . .

No!

Good audio translates into good readability. If one has to run compression, 5db or 10db maximum is more than enough. Most have no clue that EVERYTHING in the background is amplified with compression and the audio quickly becomes mush unless one is very careful.

Suggesting to turn the mike gain up and "run it at max" is simply sending the wrong message, regardless of the "without distortion" mention. Keep the gain down and make sure the ALC is just registering.

EVERYONE should have to put their transmitted audio on a 'Scope one time to see how changes affect the audio. WAY too many think that simply turning up the mike gain and compression will give them an advantage over the other guy. Some of the same folks also think they can yell into the mike and make their signal stronger. It just doesn't work that way.

.............Bob

8. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Right on, Bob. I leave the stupid compression off until contact is established. If there's going to be an actual QSO, and reports from the other guy seem to warrant it, I'll turn it on and ask him if it helps. Sometimes it does, but not usually.

The thing I watch the closest is my mic gain level. Some days I speak louder than other days. Keeping the mic gain set correctly makes a huge difference in the signal.

9. AB3MV

AB3MV Ham Member QRZ Page

I just spin the dial whenever I encounter a pile-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.