ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KF7ATL

KF7ATL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for all the great replies. This is very helpful, and also interesting as I try to figure out how it all works. I appreciate the helpful spirit of the ham community. Thanks again,

Garth

2. KD8MBI

KD8MBI Ham Member QRZ Page

KF7ATL,
    I am a new Amateur Extra (10/2009). I experienced the same frustrations working DX.
    After reading a lot about working DX I think I can boil it all down to a few simple
    recommendations.
    1. Listen - Learn the style of the DX operator. Many will take the first or last call heard. So learn which calls the DX operator prefers.
    2. Listen - Just like traffic on a highway the DX pileups tend to max and ebb. Wait for a lull time and then call.
    3. Listen - Many DX operators will give directions. Such as listening up or listening for "9" or "4". . Follow the directions.
    4. Now make that call.
    KD8MBI

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A couple of issues I see time and time again. A DX station is spotted on the Cluster, and the calls begin. Some folks call just for the sake of calling. They obviously can't hear the DX 'cuz they call on top of him, or if split, call throughout the time the DX is transmitting.

During a recent major expedition, I heard a local station calling the DX all the while the DX was talking. Over and over again he called and CLEARLY had NO CLUE when the DX station was transmitting. I wanted to call him on the phone and ask, "uhm, dude. What *ARE* you doing?" Not good.

The other thing I hear is someone calling a DX station during a pileup like this, "uhm . . . DX1DX, Delta X-ray One Delta X-ray, uhm. . . . this is W4PG, W4PG, Whiskey four, uhm, Papa, uhm Gulf. How 'bout it? Do you copy? Over!"

The DX has already had two QSO's in the time it took the station to make that single call.

Listen, listen, listen, then listen some more. When you finally make that call, give your call ONCE!!! "Whiskey Four Papa Gulf"

Then listen some more.

Did I mention it's important to listen? Listen.

.........Listen. ;)

4. K2ER

K2ER Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, LISTEN can't be stressed enough. It really is amazing how many stations call over and over while the DX is transmitting. Not very productive, that behavior!

People always ask about what radio to buy, and they are reminded again and again that antennas are where it's at. And this is true. But there are definitely radio features that help with pileups:

CW QSK. Very helpful to hear the DX come back to someone else, so you can stop calling him.

Dual receivers. For monitoring the pileup simultaneously with the DX (if working split). Can really help you find the pattern and nail the DX.

Notch filter. For nulling out the idiot who insists on tuning up right on top of things. Unless, of course, the idiot is smart enough :rolleyes: to be zero-beating the DX.

I am monitoring the TX4T situation on 7.003 MHz right now. Waiting for him to stop working EU and come back to the USA. Very educational to listen to such things as a bystander sometimes.

5. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

Recognize you won't break into every pile up.

For CW As obvious as it sounds you work the DX when he can hear you so you want to place your transmitter where he is listening and make your signal stand out. Loud helps, but skill wins more often.

Know where to transmit by knowing the freq he is answering on. Listen to the people that get him. Match that frequency and if no luck then you can tune a little higher or lower (few hundred hz)

Match his speed initially, then go a little slower then a little faster.

Find him before he is buried with 100's of people.

Try different antennas, sometimes different antennas transmit to that DX station better!

Don't try for 10 ten rare country initially, work the easy DX to learn how to do this.

6. AK4BM

AK4BM Ham Member QRZ Page

I do a couple of things that seem to have helped, I often get through on my first or second try....

I use a DX type Mic (Heil Proset 4) which has a little more punch. I also use two different antennas, oriented differently (G5RV and a 20 meter dipole), I listen on each to see which has the better sound/S meter reading.

Try tuning just slightly higher, and try with and without the voice processor.

If I can hear the station, but can't get through, I go else where to see what other DX is out there, and come back five minutes later and try four or five times, and repeat.

Hope this helps!

Robert
    KJ4JFT

7. KF7ATL

KF7ATL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey, I worked a guy in France this morning as part of SKCC weekend sprint! Thanks for all the great advice. I think I'm going to get one of the books that were recommended.

Garth

8. K5DXX

K5DXX Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a relatively new operator as well.

Chasing DX is my passion and I have learned that 100 watts will work more often than not.

My elmer has taught me...LISTEN...PROPAGATION...PERSISTENCE...PATIENCE

Oh yeah...Did I mention LISTEN ?

Good luck and don't give up

:eek:

9. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

By the way, 15 was not spectacular, but it was open to Europe and Asia on Saturday. The sunspots are back! I worked a station in Portugal in the mid-afternoon, and then heard lots of Japanese stations on later in the day.

It's easier to work DX on 15 than on 20 when 15 is open, almost as easy as 10.

10. W5OTR

W5OTR Ham Member QRZ Page

I work all mobile... And whenever some big guns hear the dx is interested in working the mobile, all of a sudden.... Everybody is mobile lol...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.