DX Operating Gripes

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0BKR, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Re: DX ops who can't hack a pileup --

It's a drag when they suddenly pull the plug and disappear. On one hand, if I were a DX station, and the mob was acting like animals, I just might say FOOGEDDABOUDIT and walk away. But on the other hand, as I always say, it is TOTALLY up to the DX to maintain order from the git-go. He should announce that he will not acknowledge tail-enders or those who call out of turn. He can even state that he will be keeping a list of those "problem children" who won't behave, and they will not get to work him.

If a DX op lets the DX'ers act like hungry seagulls at the beach being fed french fries by a 5 year old (and you coastal doods know what I mean by this), then he has himself to blame for things getting so bad that he has to leave in a huff.

W0BKR, what new call are you getting? Once you get that DUBYA FAHVE call, you'll have to work on your Texas Twang too! And be sure to yell "Texas on frequency!" during pileups. [​IMG]   Haw....

I'm out....

2. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

No offense, but I hate getting a 5 call. I didn't move here out of "want" to be sure. Hi.

No, I won't, and I hope I don't develop a twang. Nor will I buy a dualie pick up or wear boots and a hat. I wasn't born here, just a transplant...due to something like "have to work to eat!".

No offense guys, just not my thing!

Have to agree with SY's comments. Very true indeed. Nothing to do with "hacking it", just common sense with a sprinkle of logic, something that is missing many times.

3. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Chris/W0BKR,

Sorry about the forced relocation, but I guess it could be worse than Texas. They have great Tex/Mex food there!

Ok, you can skip the pick-em-up truck, boots, and ten gallon hat, but I DO fully expect you to call everybody "podnuh."

So --- still waiting to hear what 5 call you requested. How about W5YH - Dubya Fahve Yeeeeeee Haaawww!!

Here's another DX gripe, but not a real huge one: What's with the DX ops running a huge pileup who repeat the same "brag tape" on EVERY QSO?

Example: "My name is Akhmud, I spell America Kentucky Hotel Mexico United Denmark, I am located in Rilla-Rillabad, along the northern border of Lackanookystan, running the Icom 756 to an amplifier about 500 watts to a TH7 up about 30 meters. The weather is hot, about 30 degrees Centigrade. Thank you for this QSO, and QSL is via UR1LID. 73 and QRZ..."

All good info, and the first time you hear it, it's a LOT more interesting than "W3SY 5-9." But after you have heard the same blurb repeated verbatim about 20 QSO's in a row, it becomes a bit much. If you are working a pileup, I say you should knock 'em off quickly, identify often, and every once in a while blurt out the brag tape if you absolutely must.

And if the DX says "To Hell with the pileup, I want to ragchew," that is perfectly fine too! There's no law that says any time you generate a pileup you have to work 'em "contest style." But if you ARE working thru the pileup, please have mercy on us and don't repeat the personal info on every QSO. We've been listening. We heard it. We wrote it down. We're cool with it already.

Out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.