ad: qroparts

DX Operating Gripes

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0BKR, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

What is your number one gripe with DX ops? Be interesting to see how similar the responses will be! [​IMG]

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't have just one.

How about:

-Working "Seymour" for the nineteenth time while 400 others are waiting patiently for a chance? (P.S. I swear I never call a DX station with a pileup if I don't need the contact as a new one.)

-Giving his callsign only once an hour or so?

-Giving lectures on what to do, and what not to do, to work him, without giving his callsign?

-Allowing the pileup to spread 20-30 kHz, and encouraging that by answering those at the edges and out of bounds of the announced split?

-Making one contact every two minutes, when I can clearly and distinctly hear hundreds of individual callsigns from all over the world calling him, and could easily go through the whole pile in less than an hour?

-Taking no standbys for QRP and mobile operators?

-Acknowledging (clearly) the call worked, but evidently logging it as something else? (The old "not in log" problem, even though you have the crystal-clear contact on tape.)

-Ah, don't get me started!

Still, it's all good, and all fun, or why bother?

WB2WIK/6

3. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

Steve, WIK,

Loved it!!

How about these ?

I am going by numbers, any number 1....and so on, up to number 9.
    Everyone, I must go QRT now. 73.

Hey...what about 0's ?

Or, "I will be on daily, 2200-2300 on 15 meters on SSB."
    Yet, no show after 6 weeks. What's up with that BS ?

Or how about this one that I really love....
    "Any number 5?"

This is W0BKR in 5 land.
    "I am calling only number 5..any number 5?"

But I am in 5-land, Texas, that is in 5 land. Look on your map Nit Wit!

"Now number 6...any number 6?"

I think the one that tops it is the latest P5 operation with all the bogus info from KK5DO. Don't get me started on that one!

[​IMG]

4. N7CPC

N7CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

1.) All the spectrum taken up by any pile-up is wasted.

2.) Split opperation wastes twice as much!

73 [​IMG]

5. W1XBS

W1XBS Ham Member QRZ Page

Liddish operators who demand the rare DX is there to work them and only them.

Swearing at the DX for getting things wrong, no wonder they no longer hear him.

6. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

My #1 Gripe is, and always has been, DX stations that encourage the calling stations to be lids. For example, if a DX station answers a tail-ender (someone who calls while the previous contact is still transmitting), EVERYONE will tail-end! And why not? Eventually, the Pack gets the idea that if they DON'T tail-end, they won't be answered!

Another similar bad practice is answering stations that call out of turn:

DX station: "Who was the Whisky Three Sugar something?"

Lid: "WHISKEY ALPHA ONE QUEBEC ROMEO MEXICO! WHISKEY ALPHA ONE QUEBEC ROMEO MEXICO!"

DX Station: "WA1QRM 5-9."

In a mob mentality, individuals will do whatever they think they can get away with. If the DX station lets people be lids, they will be lids.

I also can't stand it when some hotshot breaks a pileup to say "Thanks for the QSL," or "We worked yesterday. Just wanted to tell you that you have a great signal here in Maine." And I fully agree about DX stations who identify once an hour. Wussup wid dat??

I can also do without the Pileup Police who make more noise and commotion than the people they are trying to "correct." I once heard a WA1D** in Maine (if you read this, you know who you are, you scumbag) who got ON the DX station's frequency in a "split" pileup to berate certain participants who were calling 10 kc up!! He even accused me of calling out of turn. (I didn't. Or if I did, it was unintentional.) He then deliberately QRM'ed me when I finally made contact with the DX. Who appointed HIM Chief of the Pileup Gestapo?? Childish...

W0BKR, your heart is in the right place, and you tried to help matters by specifying that you were IN 5-land, but I say you should call with the zeros. I heard a DX station last night going by the numbers and he made it clear: "Anyone with a zero in your call." NOT "Anyone in Zero-Land." The DX station is not necessarily trying to split things geographically -- he's just trying to split things statistically by the number in your callsign.  I know it's a drag, but if this becomes a big problem, you might wanna consider getting a 5-call. [​IMG]

Out.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

DXing is fun, and we all need to chill and have the right attitude.

One of my best DXing experiences:

3Y5X Bouvet. Worked 'em on six band-modes, but was looking to work 'em on a few more. The pileup on 15m phone was deep and wide, and I just wasn't cutting it. Finally, out of the blue, the operator says, "Okay, mobile stations only now, please. Mobile stations only."

Aha! I ran, not walked, out to the car in the garage and almost had it out of the garage before the door was open. Pulled into the driveway, then into the street in front of the house. I'm mobile! The Spider antenna already had a 15m resonator in it. Turned on the old TS430S, dialed in the split.

I got through on the second call, when from the home station I had waited in line for 15 mins and wasn't getting anywhere.

Ingenuity.

WB2WIK/6

8. W0BKR

W0BKR Guest

I already have.  Should have it soon.  Hate having it, but I think in the long run, stupid DX ops won't have to worry about vanity calls and outplaced calls.  It will require less brain cells for the DX ops! [​IMG]
     Hi.

Nice capture WIK on the mobile.  Don't see many DX ops that will do that!  Must be nice though, to have an arrangement specifically set for one end of the country or the other. Us in the middle work for it. Hi.

Just remember to keep the RF out of the garage door opener so that door doesn't come back down on you!!

9. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My biggest gripe about DX ops is the ones' who can't handle it and put up a posting here to complain.

K2WH

10. W1XBS

W1XBS Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K2WH @ Aug. 07 2002,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">My biggest gripe about DX ops is the ones' who can't handle it and put up a posting here to complain.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    AMEN!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.