ad: QSKLLC-1

DX is...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WM3O, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Although this isn't at all recent, one of my best DX catches of my lifetime occurred when I was a teenage kid home from school "sick."

I guess I wasn't that sick, since I found my way downstairs to my parents' basement where my hamshack was, and tuned around 20m SSB in the afternoon. Heard a CQ from AC5A, and nobody answering him.

This is way before an AC5 could be some guy in Texas. In the 60s there were only W5s, K5s, WA5s and WB5s. And WN5s in the CW bands.

I had no idea what AC5 was, but the guy sounded lonely so I answered him with my mighty Marauder (100W PEP) and dipole.

Easy QSO. I asked where he was and he kept telling me but I never heard of the place and couldn't figure it out.

Bhutan. He QSL'd also.

I had Bhutan confirmed before I had Finland confirmed.:p

2. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

very nice catch on Bhutan. that's how it's supposed to be - lonely CQ and you work them without realizing how important it was at the moment. it was just two people having a QSO

3. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes like I said now Spratly and Bhutan, Juan De Nova, (Fran Josef,Vanuatu both on now) things like that more uncommon. All DX is good but some is more common than others and not activated often.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.