DX is...

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by WM3O, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I need to get out the old computer for mine. Everything seemed to work better on the old machine.

2. AC4RD

AC4RD Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. People who depend on the cluster to find DX are lined up to be disappointed. A few days ago, at dusk local time, with the solar flux no more than 100, from the east coast, I worked VK and ZL on 10m CW. *Listening* is the way to find DX. The very BEST the "spotters" can get you is a noisy pileup where you're competing with 1000 other people. Tuning around, listening, and calling CQ even when a band sounds dead--that's how you work DX.

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ssshhh! Don't give up all the secrets! :D

4. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With all the frustration surrounding 9M0L, it was nice to finally contact Qatar (A71AM) Monday night, a "new one" for me. :)

So, let the SFI climb another 20-30 and hello, Spratley.

5. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I think they were referring to non generic DX not the daily run something more like Spratly and Christmas Is. things like that. The reflectors are still the best way to see what is available on the bands foolish not to use them.

I run WSPR to check probigation openings to all parts of the world excellent tool just start the program and watch the results I usually run 5-10w or less using a dipole.

6. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

let's see, i worked Rotuma, Reunion, and Tajikistan in the past two weeks by tuning the bands.

7. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

bands are just about dead when I get home from work. I tuned around last night and didn't hear much, just some stateside and JAs. Called the TO3X but no go.

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Bands sound okay to me when I get home from work.

Yesterday was in a rag chew with an old acquaintance from NJ now living in MD (W2JVE) on 20m SSB when Bob, VK6JK broke in to tell me he was hearing me via long path in southern Australia. He was right, I turned the beam both ways and it was long path: 15,587 miles of it from L.A. to VK6. Bob was plenty strong, and we continued our rag chew to include him for a long time.

I hardly "chase" DX at all anymore, it just comes anyway.

Some of my best DX contacts, especially lately, are after "the band closes" when there isn't much activity. The band's not really closed, it's just closed to a lot of popular places, or everyone's going to bed. It's still open to somewhere.:eek: Calling CQ helps.

9. WM3O

WM3O Ham Member QRZ Page

yes it does, i have worked some new ones that way including a great QSO with 3A2MD in Monaco.

10. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

A lot of stuff is never "spotted" on clusters...I usually tune about, but alas...stuck at work at the moment....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.