ad: elecraft

Dx Commander Lite Build Part II

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KD9LFZ, Oct 23, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD9LFZ

KD9LFZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch me finish the Dx Commander build and test the SWR with my Xiegu G-90

K3ETD, M0BUT, GW7GWT and 9 others like this.
  2. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Cannot wait for your POTA activation video with this antenna. I just received my DX Commander All Band Vertical antenna kit and will be assembling it soon. My plans are for POTA, maybe SOTA (if I can find a mountain top not too difficult to climb), and contesting.

Why did you run a separate 15 meter wire when the DX commander 1/4 wave 40 meter wire works as a 5/8 wave wire on 15 meters? Did you think about running a 10 meter wire?

Good work,

Ed
    NX6ED

3. KU4C

KU4C Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the final look at your DXCommander All Band Vertical antenna assembly. The swr sweep function on the Xiegu G90 was a great added touch to make a quick check of the swr over a range of frequencies. Your activation video of the antenna in the field is most anticipated and will help me make my purchase decision on the DX Commander Vertical. 73, de KU4C

4. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We will consider it as a reference.
    Thank you.
    Why are chickens walking?
    that's interesting.

JF1IRQ

5. W1KRI

W1KRI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job as usual, will use with my Ham group at school!
    I hope DX commander sent you the antenna for free :)

6. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great stuff Leah, the more I see the G90 the more I like it. I just wonder if SSB is the right mode for the SWR Sweep? I’m no expert but I see people usually use FM or CW. Keep it up Leah it really is refreshing to see your enthusiasm.

7. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Leah...Great job...Smashing!

For the life of me, I have no idea why ARRL does not work with you and Dad. The focus to promote Ham radio to the younger children. I said this before, I had a chance to be the CEO for ARRL, at the end the plants did not line up, however, if I was the CEO, you would be the first hire...

If ARRL does not do something soon, we will be calling CQ from our graves! Good news for you Leah, bands will be wide open in about 20 years.

My son is 13, passed when he was 12 (KI5FJE)...But there are not many young Hams. However, I know ARRL can do something about this and hire young Ham like yourself, to do monthly technical videos, and distribute to private schools (I tried public schools, to many regulations!)

Leah, your videos are inspiring, educational, and since you are young this naturally attracts young children..

Great job, Leah

FYI, I might buy one of these antennas, make sure you get some commissions!

NN2X

Tom

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  8. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Leah - So glad to see that you are still experimenting with antennas. Some of the more common questions POTA receives are "what is the best antenna etc..." The honest answer is that there is an antenna for every situation, and half the fun is coming up with a solution for every problem. Sometimes a magnetic loop might be what is needed, or you may need a vertical for DX, or an end fed etc... I hear great things about the DX Commander series, so I may even have to grab one of those myself someday. If I was more "handy" I would try to build one actually, but I am more of a software type. Well, thanks for being a great steward for the program, and good luck!! Be careful out at the parks! 73 W3AAX

9. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I emailed Callum with a question if I could mount it absent guys. He got right back to me that it was easily done with the right mounting pipe and a little drilling and reinforcement. of the glass mast. (just a hose clamp outside the mast at the top of the insert.) Going to order one when I get to my new digs. Was planning a 5btv but this antenna is well worth a shot.

10. K8MRD

K8MRD Ham Member QRZ Page

You won't be disappointed. I take the DX Commander Expedition out all the time when I do Parks on the Air. It is an absolutely fantastic "bit of kit" as they say across the pond.

N1IPU and 2E0TWD like this.
  11. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice job on the video. I had a QSO with a guy yesterday on 20 meters using the same antenna. He said he enjoys your videos as well :)

JF1IRQ likes this.
  12. WZ9O

WZ9O Ham Member QRZ Page

I wish I had the space to put one out at my apartment. would do miles better than my end fed that I have

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently you didn't have your docks in a row, either.
    Reincarnation?

14. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Now, that was funny.