ad: CQMM-1

DX Commander All Band Vertical HF Antenna Build & Review

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jan 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K4WPC

K4WPC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the very nice informative video.

2. N7ZS

N7ZS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I built a copy of his antenna a few years ago and it's a great antenna. I happened to want to build the whole antenna myself, but I love his ideas and let him know. He was very gracious and happy that I did it.

Now two years later, I have built a number of other portable antennas. I have a number of ham friends who have recently started to build the DX Commander copy and love it.... It's a very effective antenna.

Buying his kit still allows you the fun of "building it"!

I think Callum is an upstanding guy and quite a fun watch on you tube.

I for one appreciate anyone willing to bring out antenna stories, thank you!

PS: I may have to take it with me to the desert (Quartzite) next week and play with it again.... haven't done so in a while..... see ya on the air!

AG5DB, G3MOT and MM0XXW like this.
  3. G5KCI

G5KCI Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a DX Commander Expedition (10m and really light) about a year ago. I ordered extra wire with it. The beauty of these antennas is that they're a kit, so you can either build them according to the instructions, or explore other ideas. I ran a dipole from mine in the past, then an inverted L for 80m (it bends, but in my case didn't break). However, today in fact, I started building it as DX Commander intended, and though I currently only have 20 and 40m elements (which gives 15 too), the results have put a grin on my face. It's not a bad stick.

Definitely not something for people with short patience though. If you want to understand a bit more about antennas, and have built at least one Ikea flat-pack product, then I think you'll love getting to know the DX Commander products. If you're more in to plug and play then it's probably not for you.

4. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Well said!
    I enjoyed taking my time and tweaking with it afterwards. Now 80m is up in the air, it's working really well. Had a NVIS contact on 3.6 MHz with a station who was 5/9+30, he gave me 5/9+20. I've also had a few contacts on 15m and 17m so enjoying it so far!

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So
    How many countries, on how many bands, has this DX Commander guy worked .... ..

6. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Look up M0MCX and see his old logbook..

7. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It looks like the greatest thing since 43-foot vertical. .... ..
    But you'll never know how good it is until you put up another antenna to compare it to.

WD4ELG likes this.
  9. KK3Q

KK3Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice review, excellent camera work and voice. You might could build this yourself but the materials would eat you alive. At the price of the DXCommander you couldn't make one yourself unless you have a pretty good junk box of antenna materials.

VK7HH likes this.
  10. N6TDG

N6TDG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When I built mine, it was a very nice, relaxing build. Took my time over a couple of days just because. With just 100w I get 5-7 reports from Japan, to NZ and AU down to Brazil and on good nights, across the US on 80m. I tried getting into the pile up for a ZS station, but frankly, the 100w couldn't get me in. Works well from Northern California to WA State (as well it should) and down to Yuma and San Diego for regional coverage...

It is simple and also portable. If I had money I would get the 18m antenna and then maybe add a 160 inverted L componet to it as 80m will not have to be inverted like it is with the classic.

11. NK7B

NK7B Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an EXCELLENT video of a very good vertical antenna design. I am curious about something that I thought while watching you squatting around in your yard: How about all of the horribly lethal SNAKES in Australia ? Do you have any of these ? How do you keep them out of your yard. 73, NK7B

12. VK7HH

Hopefully I can work you one day soon!

13. VK7HH

Nah they don't worry me ;)

There isn't that many about, but yes every snake here is deadly.

N5SKT likes this.
  14. M7GWD

M7GWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Kevin (M6ENP),
    That is very impressive results, especially on your 10 watts allocation inline with the Foundation license.... :D;)

Only if my DXC Expedition worked as well on 10 watts....

15. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Watch Callum's videos on youtube...

K9GLS likes this.