ad: KF7PMW-1

DX-60 or what else to choose from?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by K8KJG, May 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K8KJG

K8KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well that is a bummer. I've got to on a somewhat urgent errand right now. But, posting photos these days is more than frustrating.

This is a small version and it might work. It is the best I can do right now.

[​IMG]

Here is one more try:

[​IMG]

There has to be a better way of posting photos than what I'm using. Does anybody have any good clues. These photos are on Google Photos.

Ken

2. K8KJG

If this doesn't work -- I will quit trying.

I've read many postings about trying to post photos in BB-Code, which is what this and many other forum sites use. Nothing is encouraging.

[​IMG]

In addition to Screen Grid Modulation for DX-60s, I'd certainly welcome ideas on how to get photos onto the forum.

Photo Phrustrated Ken Phrum WV
    K8KJG

KD2ACO likes this.
  3. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

That worked fine.
    The DX60B was my first rig as a novice.
    I like the Cheyenne better I think, its got ptt, t/r relay and a very nice vfo built in.
    Just needs a nice strapping outboard power supply and some screen modulator mods...

K8KJG likes this.
  4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I LOVE the Kennethkit VFO! :p
    Wait, the plastic protection wrap is still on the screen cover... :eek:

You're one of those...

K8KJG likes this.
  5. K8KJG

I have a strange hang-up about removing the screen covers. I have about a 5-year old GPS unit in my truck, and about a 3-year old "fish finder" for my boat that still have those covers. If I look around, I probably have more.o_O

I have enough other issues that I probably shouldn't bring up this subject with my shrink, who is far crazier than me!:confused:

Yeesh! You sound like some of my friends and my bride of nearly 42 years!:D

6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My Dad's an OB/GYN (ret.) and one of his best friends is a shrink... the dude is definitely out of his mind, and happy to admit it!

There is a thread on the Zed (or maybe several) about the protection cover coveters and the "pullers"... I'm a puller. :D

There were some great pictures posted about covers with tattered edges that lasted several years which you couldn't see through anymore. :p

K8KJG likes this.
  7. K8KJG

I absolutely love the Cheyenne transmitters (MT1/HX-20) and Comanche (MR1/HR-20) receivers. I'm not sure how many I've owned over the last 50+ years, but I've owned a number of each.

Your last two sentences really hit on why I haven't chosen them for this project. Deep in my crazy brain, the external power supply is an issue -- yet I have external power supplies for all of my old Ten Tec transceivers. The other is that the Cheyenne vs. the DX-60B for this project is the VFO. The way I use this setup doesn't need an internal VFO. If I were to use it strictly for AM/CW, it would be fantastic.

Although I have a real soft spot in my heart for DX-100s and Apache TX-1s, I would take an MT1/HX20 and power supply any day over their much heavier uncles. I don't want any more back surgeries. :eek:

Ken

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. K8KJG

Aw Geeze! My shrink has become a close friend. I don't have an appointment with her for two more weeks. But, I may have to send her an e-mail with a link to "coveters" and "pullers".:confused:

She would appreciate such craziness (not an acceptable term in the office). Besides taking care of crazies like me (she calls me an "experiment") she is a professor who teaches psychiatry to Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants. I'm sure her students would get a good laugh about this.

KD2ACO likes this.
  9. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

I just received the parts for building a switching power supply for my Cheyenne for mobile use.

Phil

10. KM1H

KM1H Subscriber QRZ Page

Plus you get all that free extra harmonic radiation......I had a 50D for awhile.

Unless you have a good antenna on the low bands 50W isnt going to do very much most of the time and guys in a roundtable tend to ignore someone that cant be well heard by all.

All you need is 20-25W to drive most amps to 1200-1500W PEP if the PS and tubes can take it. I have a wide range of vintage 30-50W rigs with controlled carrier to plate modulation to chose from and play with. The AF-67 is one of my favorites but controlled carrier works better with amps with a marginal PS. I use a 60's NCL-2000 and Hunter 2000C most of the time with a Clipperton L and DTR-2000L ready to go to keep tubes gettered and PS caps well formed.

Carl