DX 60 Heathkit crystals for each band?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB1FGC, Jun 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Another issue is getting a DX-60 that is already working well. Equipment of that vintage may need to be refurbished if it has not already been done. Electrolytic capacitors in the power supply circuitry very often need replacing. Resistors may have aged such that they are no longer in tolerance. Alignment of the transmitter, which was initially done by the builder of the rig, may need to be redone.

Ted, KX4OM

2. KI4ZNV

KI4ZNV Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not THAT hard getting crystals for AM if you're willing to pay list price to have new ones made. FT-11 crystals with an adaptor will work; this radio does not drive the crystal with so much current that it would be an issue.

ICM and JAN are gone but Bomar and Quartslab will still cut new crystals. However you will find that if you want to be on more than one or two frequencies, a VFO will save you a lot of money. This was the case when these radios were new too, so lots of people went to a VFO as soon as they could get upgraded to general.

Exactly what frequency you want to be on is your decision. I know that when I was rockbound, it seemed like I never had the right crystal to come back to any of the DX stations I heard.
    --scott

N2EY likes this.
  3. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Problem with that is most HG10 VFO's drift like crazy. I have Xtals for the four most popular AM frequencies, and use the VFO only when I have to.

4. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Many hams, AM'ers included build their own VFOs for boatanchor rigs. It used to be somewhat involved, getting parts like variable capacitors, and an assortment components to experiment with to try to get it stable in frequency, minimizing the drift caused by temperature changes. Now it is relatively easy since commercial transceivers use DDS or PLL synthesis circuits. There are dozens if not hundreds of VFO circuits using digital readouts on the internet built by hams using synthesizer chips and Arduino boards or other types of microcontrollers.

Until recently, there was a commercial market for built-up VFOs for boatanchors using these basic designs, but that has pretty much dried up since the basic DDS or PLL boards are so cheap,and they can be homebrewed so easily. Do a web search on "DDS VFO" to get an idea of what is going on.

Ted, KX4OM