DX 60 Heathkit crystals for each band?

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KB1FGC, Jun 16, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KB1FGC

KB1FGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm looking at a Heathkit DX60,but the crystals are not being sold with it.I looked in the manuel but didn't find what crystals it uses.The fellow who is selling it told me to get the FT 243.But it looks like there are different frequencies for it.I only found in the Manuel what crystals are needed for each band but nothing on the exact model or frequency.
    Thanks
    Rich

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

The FT-243 is a case style. Inside the DX-60 are four sockets for crystals that can be selected from a front panel switch. The transmitter covers 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 Meters so just choose crystals in a FT-243 case that are in the CW section of those bands. You might check with the SKCC for appropriate crystal frequencies and sources. The SKCC, and several other CW clubs, have areas where they hang out. A good choice might be 7.040-7.060 MHz. Have several crystals for each band so that you can change frequency, if someone is already using that frequency. You have an Extra class license so you can also use the lower 25 KHz of almost any band.

You can also start looking for a VF-1 VFO. That will take the place of the crystals. However, the two may need some modifications to make them work well together.

Of course, maybe you intend to use it on AM. For those frequencies, someone else will have to respond. But the crystals will still be in the same FT-243 case.

3. KB1FGC

Thanks for response,How come I can't change the crystals for AM?Is it more complicated to do because of the wider bandwidth?---I realize it's an entry level rig.Actually that's the reason why I am looking into it.I have a Heathkit 301/401 but wanted to play around with an old tube rig that runs AM.Kind of having second thoughts about it though.The guy who is selling the rig only uses it for CW,So I hate to get the rig and find there is an issue with the AM side.

4. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't say you couldn't change crystals for AM. I only said that I didn't know what the frequencies for AM operation were. Any crystal you put in the rig can be used for CW or AM. The only difference would be that, AM operation is usually not done in the CW portion of the band. You would annoy a lot of hams if you did that.

Here is a list of AM Frequencies from the ARRL. These are frequencies where AM users commonly operate. You will notice, for example, that 40 Meter AM operation is on 7.290 MHz and 7.295 MHz. Whereas, CW is commonly done in the lower portion of 40 Meters (7.000 MHz to 7.115 MHz).

There is nothing wrong with exploring a different mode. What would you be using for a receiver? The DX-60 is only a transmitter.

I'm sure you know that the TS-2000 (or whatever it is) sitting on your operating desk will operate AM, at reduced power. While it's not "pure" AM, to a AM aficionado, it may be a better choice for exploring AM operation.

5. KJ4YEV

KJ4YEV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a DX60 that I operate AM with. I have four crystals: 7290, 7295, 3880 and 3885. I got them from AF4K, who is now SK, but someone else took over his business. You won't find these frequencies on the surplus market. I use an HG10 VFO for other frequencies.

6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know if it's been made apparent to the original poster, but. . . with a DX-60 (or any crystal-controlled rig) you need a separate crystal for every frequency on which you want to operate. It's not one crystal per band. That can be rather limiting (ol' timers... remember fondly your Novice days!) so you may want to consider purchasing a VFO. The Heath HG-10 or HG-10B match the DX-60 series transmitters and cover all of the bands the transmitter covers.

KC2ZFA and W0GSQ like this.
  8. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Given the difficulty in obtaining crystals these days, a VFO would be a worthwhile investment for flexible operating.

N2EY and W0GSQ like this.
  9. KB1FGC

Ok Thanks for the help.I thought each crystal per frequency but am still unclear on many things.If getting crystals for the AM band is pretty difficult to find I may have no choice but to go with a VFO.Although it looks pretty big and my desk doesn't have to much room

10. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

(?) This has nothing to do with AM mode, or Bands. Crystals just haven't been made in quantity for decades and there are only one or two companies making limited types, which may or may not be appropriate for your radio circuits. Finding used crystals from other hams or in the usual market places requires patience and time like many aspects of restoring BA's. :)

[​IMG]

WA1GXC likes this.