Dusty Equipment For Sale...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K0GMK, Jan 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I find that "free" works about 50% of the time :)

N0TZU likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

This morning worked on a recently acquired Heathkit HW-16 which was one of the cleanest old rigs I have ever seen. It works just as well. Finished installing the Hayseed Hamfest capacitor/resistor kit and it passed the smoke test (just kidding). There was some dust on the top side of the chassis cleaned it with denatured alcohol which does a nice job and leaves no residue. Have a list from various sources of most of the published mods for this rig and will be doing many of them as I have on other HW-16 rigs I own. Will also mount a fuse holder under the chassis. While Heathkit had fused plugs in many of their earlier offerings this rig is not fused at all.
    I would say Charles and Dave are two of the top "clean up" guys.

DSC02750.JPG DSC02749.JPG

W7UUU, N1OOQ, K4TTJ and 4 others like this.
  3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

My photo editing program has a dust removal feature.
    The entire pix is blank white.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm cleaning out my basement (like really clean is my goal this time). I don't hesitate to throw stuff in the dumpster. I've got three piles of junk....a for sale pile (which may require cleaning)....a free pile....and a junk pile.
    The for sale pile usually sells reasonably quickly especially if it's clean.
    The free pile has been scarfed up instantly. I have yet to have anyone turn up their nose!
    The junk pile goes into the dumpster. I dislike standing over a pile of junk watching people pick through it looking for that one freebie they just gotta have. IMO they can go pick through things at a dump or go buy what they need like everyone else.

To move stuff you have to know both your junk and your audience. If it's too difficult to unite junk and an interested audience....it goes into the dumpster. I refuse to become a junk dealer.

N0TZU and KC8VWM like this.
  5. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Offer him $1 for the whole box. You'd be surprised at how often this works.

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep, I've used this on Craigslist or on the side of the road to get rid of stuff that I didn't want to haul away and it worked every single time.

My favorite was disposing of a couple of heavy old analog CRT TVs because there was a hefty fee on them at the landfill to recycle, plus I had to haul them there. There were still plenty of people who wanted the old CRTs and used them with a digital converter box.

7. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Craigslist is a great way to get things done if you word things the right way.

For example, I wanted to haul away a bunch of rocks off my property.

Placed an ad: "Free Landscaping Rocks "

They come and remove them, do all the work and everything.

So who got something for "free" here exactly?

N0TZU likes this.
  8. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

Now you are a gentleman, a scholar, AND a celebrity...

9. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

You make them look sterile. Very nice indeed.
    John
    K4AGO

KC8VWM likes this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks.

Well I admit, I did work in an operating room before... :D:p

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019