ad: UR5CDX-1

Duracell Alkaline Batteries FYI

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WA1UIL, Jul 4, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WA1UIL

WA1UIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a heads up for all of you using Duracell Alkaline users . Sitting here cruising the web and listening to HF on a Yaesu VR500 handheld. Suddenly I hear what sounds like a brief pressure relief. First thought it was the TV my Wife was watching but it was on the local weather. As I listened to the Vr500 the audio started to fade a bit so I grabbed it to raise the volume. I was greeted with a smaller Pffttt.. and the base of the handheld was wet.
    One of the Duracell AA's pissed its pants all over the battery compartment. I tested both batteries and the bad one was at 1.35V and the other was 1.57V. Both of these were new 2 weeks ago fresh out of the package (from Costco) I checked the load the receiver puts on the cells and it was 105Ma medium volume/un squelched and 50Ma squelched. I have had Duracell's leak before but in devices that they were left in for years (Usually Kids toys)
    I guess if I had mismatched new and used or different brands this could be expected but certainly not from new ones. Costco sells these alot but no more for me. I'm done with the Duracell brand all together. Had I not been sitting there listening, the battery liquid would have surely ate the VR500 over time. This is just a FYI and I'm not trying to bash the brand.
    BTW: anyone know who makes the Kirkland brand AA alkaline batteries???

N4FZ, W1BR and KX4O like this.
  2. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have had VERY bad luck with Duracells damaging equipment. Cleanup is routinely done with white vinegar, which neutralizes leaked/hardened battery discharge and works miracles.

Brian - K6BRN

N4FZ, K8XG, W9JEF and 1 other person like this.
  3. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a lot of Kodak branded alkalines do this. I never would have thought this of Duracells. Thanks to the OP for the FYI, and to Brian for the white vinegar tip. I lost two Maglite flashlights recently due to battery leakage.

N4FZ likes this.
  4. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Quit buying alkalines!

Get Eneloop rechargeables. Their charge lasts almost as long as alkalines, they don't ever leak, have very low self-discharge, and you can recharge them over and over. I have sets that are over seven years old now and still work great.

WZ7U, KF5RRF, AG6QR and 4 others like this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Recently I had several Duracell D cells leak, what a mess. Vinegar cleaned it up right away. This is in an old Radio Shack shortwave from the 80s.

N4FZ likes this.
  6. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I no longer buy batteries at Costco/Walmart or the like. Too many early failures.
    I "Think" that the price point demanded by the Big Boxes lead to cheaper construction.

Ed

N4FZ likes this.
  7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are good, IF your device can work at the lower voltage.

In my HT the low voltage warning comes on real quick. Same with my Kodak a camera.

N1AOA likes this.
  8. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I went digging in my battery supply box for a couple of Duracell AAA cells. 3 left in the blister pack and never used. At least one got sick and died. Luckily the sickness was contained in the blister pack. Eneloop rechargeable are a good recommendation. Seems like when Duracell went 'off shore' for manufacturing they have not been the same. No idea when that happened, but a number of years back I went to Eneloop for my battery needs. I also ditched the 'D' cell flashlights and using 'AA' driven LED types. More pocketable, brighter and dimmable when you don't need searchlight power to find something in the closet.

N4FZ likes this.
  9. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I just lost my old Radio shack digital multimeter to leaking Duracells. They really need to fix their leaking issues, it's a very often reported problem with their batteries. I'm switching over to Eveready if I need alkalines now. Normally I use rechargable NiMh batteries for most stuff. Never a problem with those.

N4FZ likes this.
  10. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

Three of my analog multimeters are less accurate in resistance measurements using alkalines vs carbon-zinc batteries. The internal resistance of these two types is different so that is likely the cause. Also the chemicals carbon-zinc batteries are made of are less corrosive than those of alkalines, and in my experience, carbon-zinc "heavy duty" batteries leak less often. So they are my battery of choice for less demanding applications (remotes, multimeters, clocks, etc).

N4FZ likes this.