Dump the Old Listings

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KZ1G, Jun 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. KZ1G

KZ1G Ham Member QRZ Page

Good grief, there are classified ads from 2016! How about a 4-month listing period. After that, ads automatically get deleted.

2. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

In what way are those older listings causing you any grief? I personally don't see a problem, and I look through the ads a lot. At times I like to see the historical pricing associated with past sales (or past offers). I vote to leave them exactly as is.

NE1U, W7UUU, KP4SX and 2 others like this.
  3. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Helps with price research.

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

KA2FIR, NE1U, WD4IGX and 1 other person like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Delete would not be good. Auto lock could be useful, Just like it was years ago.

Some sellers never say sold, It may have been sold on ebay or elsewhere.

It can be a bummer to know that you missed out. :(

NE1U and K2HAT like this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Manglement states that not deleting olde listings adds to the database. However, an asking price isn't necessarily the selling price (if an item even sold). A certain auction website can show actual sold (and not sold) prices.

Another problem is, ALL ham stuff is lumped into one forum. Nothing is separated/organized by type. Finding what you want to buy requires a search. And then, that search happens at only THAT moment. A minute later, the item may be listed but, you won't know it unless you search... again.

An email/PM notification would let the seeker know if and when an item is listed. That certain auction website can send you an email when an item is listed. That comes in handy when what you're seeking isn't often listed. That's how I found a Green Heron RT-21 rotator controller:
    [​IMG]
    ...and I bought it for $200 LESS than the new price. It took nearly a year before my automated search produced a hit. I can't imagine having to repeatedly MANUALLY search for something. :p

W7UUU likes this.
  6. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

There are some listings here that go back to 2012 and earlier. Does this mean you are volunteering? ;)

KC8VWM, K7MH, K9ASE and 1 other person like this.
  7. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I search old ads for info and pricing.

K1ZJH likes this.
  8. KA2CDT

KA2CDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here is what looks to be the very first for sale ad from 2002. Unfortunately the ham is now a silent key. I say leave the ads in place. I like seeing the old ads.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/for-sale-ge-mastr-pro-lo-band-base.1/

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

This was on the top of my list when it comes to things to be concerned about don't know if I can make it through the weekend without it being resolved.

10. NE1U

NE1U Ham Member QRZ Page

SK's are one thing, but I look at old ads just in the case that the item(s) I am looking have not yet sold ... and seller has not got around to relisting (something that I would do:oops:). That often results in a better deal that I don't even have to ask for.

Which reminds me, I have to ping that ham selling a bunch of widgets still listed in an old ad. He was on vacation ... now where was that ad?:rolleyes:He was going to get back to me ... ;)