Duluth Minn East High School ham club

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by W6UHQ, Sep 1, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. W6UHQ

W6UHQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all, this post is a plea to help jog my memory. I went to High School in Minnesota, Duluth East High School. I was in that schools ham club until transferring to Hermantown High School, WA0KVN.

Does anyone know what the East High School call was? I seem to remember it was a K0 call. Think the advisor was Gifford E. Axdahl. I don't have his call either.

This post is sort of education related. :)

73 and tnx
    Dennis. Ex WN0OOM
    W6UHQ, Herald, CA
    W6UHQ@ARRL.NET
    Displaying 1-1 of 1

2. W4KJG

W4KJG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Dennis,

I sure don't remember, but I had a lot of good ham friends that went Duluth East. I went to Superior East. In the early to mid-60s there were quite a few of us who hung out together, including kids from Superior Central and Superior Cathedral. There were a few kids from Duluth Central and Dendfeld too. I was a member of the Arrowhead Amateur Radio Club from 1962 to sometime in the late 60s. We met in the Duluth Courthouse. I worked part time at Northwest Radio at 123 East First Street, where nearly everybody was a ham. I also worked for the old KDAL radio and TV, and the old WDSM radio. I was even a charter member of the Golden Shovel Club which was started by an Air Force couple stationed at the Duluth Air Base. In those days there was such great bus service throughout Duluth/Superior so we could easily visit each other and do things together before we could drive. It was good even after that because I didn't like driving in Duluth in the winter. Those were fun times.

Ken Grymala
    Originally WN/WA9GFS

3. W4KJG

After posting the above note, I did a little Googling. The Arrowead ham club is still active. You may find somebody there who remembers. Website is http://www.thearac.org

Ken

4. W6UHQ

Ken great to hear from you.... boy those are some very old rusty memories!!!! I remember WDSM... I really remember the announcer who has a VERY Wisconsin dialect/drawl if you know what I mean...
    I didn't live in Duluth to get the Canadian/Minnesota twang, but my sister sure did, eh... ha!
    I found the Arrowhead club sometime ago and put some feelers out there to see if anyone there remembered the call.. Im too cheap to pay for a lookup on the several
    Call Book web sites... some will find you what your are looking for, but I am determined to find it on my own... someone like you will read one of my several pleas to find the
    call letters... I had the QSL card from the Duluth East club for a long time.. then lost it... drat! The other memory that you jogged with the Golden Shovel Group.... I
    remember visiting a guy in Duluth and was watching him work the Golden Shovel group.... very impressive... my first experience hearing the wonderful sound of SSB full throttle
    40 or 50DB over S9.... course the other guy was probably in Duluth too! We lived right down the street from East High School until my dad was allowed to move us into
    base housing at the Air Force Base.... thats when I got my novice.. WN0OOM ... say that in CW.. ha... We moved to California where I got a new call.. WN6UHQ... then
    converted it to WB6UHQ, then got tired of the WB and went vanity to get the W6UHQ.... so I had part of this call for 50 years!! ha..

Ken if you run across anyone who does remember that call, drop me a line at W6UHQ@ARRL.NET.... sure appreciate hearing from you!!

73s.
    Dennis/W6UHQ
    Herald, CA

5. W4KJG

Dennis,

I still visit there a few times a year. Most of my ham friends either moved out like you and me, and hardly anybody still has their original calls.

And the Golden Shovel ... I don't remember the guy's call, but as I recall his first name was Dick. I remember he had the only HX-50 SSB rig I ever used. He and his wife hosted a lot of gatherings at their house for us kids. I don't know whatever happened to my Golden Shovel. His goal was to retire from the Air Force and get a job as a train driver at Knott's Berry Farm near Disneyland.

Anyway, the guys I knew from there would be in their late 60s to mid 70s at this point.

Ken

6. W6UHQ

Yeah, I know what you mean about the calls.... after the N calls started coming in, I was irritated that I had the WB call.. funny however, now folks see that as a "salty" call.. funny stuff.
    You nailed my age pretty close... I'm 69... was a fresh 17 when I got my novice there in Minnesota... we lived on the Duluth AFB.. I wonder if my dad knew this Dick fellow and that's
    how we got over to his house in Duluth..... I don't remember his name either.. my dad got me hooked up with some old fellow out in the farm country around Duluth and the old
    guy gave me my novice test. It wasn't Dick I remember that. My dad was very interested in ham radio, but chose the CB route.. used to irritate me a LOT...

We live in Anchorage AK just before we came to Duluth, where my dad had brought me to another ham... this guy was an airman who had a station set up at their
    work place... it was in a hanger area on the Elmendorf AFB, and the guy had a dipole strung up over the hanger... seems like he had a DX 20 or DX 35.. dont remember the RX,,
    probably an Air Force RX of some kind...

I went back to Duluth and spent a few days visiting my sister and was amazed at the city... very San Francisco like... the most
    amazing thing was that there were no ore ships coming and going... you remember that those things came all the time.. and in the fog the fog horn was LOUD.. in Duluth... dont
    know how loud it was in Superior. Of course I know that the steel business all went to China and Japan, or where ever, and I knew the ships weren't running and that
    the economy of Northern Minnesota was affected.. what a change...

Good to chat with you Ken..

Dennis/W6UHQ

7. WB0DBQ

WB0DBQ Ham Member QRZ Page

East High School call sign K0TJA
    Wb0dbq

8. W6UHQ

AL, Thanks again for this call!!! CUL.
    Dennis/W6UHQ

9. K0XB

K0XB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The callsign was K0TJA.
    73, Rick K0XB

10. K0XB

K0XB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The callsign was K0TJA. I was in the club in the early-60's.
    73, Rick K0XB (ex-WA0APN) kzeroxb@gmail.com