DualBand Antenna for Apartment Patio

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC2MPG, Jul 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC2MPG

KC2MPG Ham Member QRZ Page

I need some help. I am moving to an apartment with a patio. I have a dualband Kenwood TMV71 and would like to match an antenna for the patio. It will have a 25' feed line. The building has restrictions, so it has to be discreet. I was thinking of either doing a Diamond mobile antenna with a mag mount on some type of metal table. Or, a diamond X50 or X30 base antenna mounted to a mast hidden in a flower pot.
    One of the concerns is the height. In my best guess, there is about 8 to 9 feet between my patio to the one above me. With a typical patio railing of about 4.5 feet in height. So an antenna like the X50 at best would be about 4' above the (metal) railing, and the rest would be below the railing terminating at the flower pot. The patios in NYC are not huge. Im worried the metal railing would detune the antenna as almost half would be below the rail. And sitting in a flower pot most likely it would be no more then 2' from the railing.
    I could go with the X30 which is only about 4' tall.I would lose some gain.
    Or just put a 1/4 wave on a mag mount and call it a day.
    Any pinions?

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not for the same reasons as you, but I run an X-50A on my boat. Damn fine antenna. A friend of mine with HOA's resorted to to the X-30 for reasons similar to yours, and even in this hilly country he is getting some pretty gosh darn good results.

KC2MPG likes this.
  3. KC2MPG

I hear very good things about the X50. It will fit on the patio without a doubt since its 5.5 feet tall. BUT half the antenna may be below the railing. I was concerned that might negate any positives of the antenna

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wouldn't think so. The X-50 on my boat does have to contend against my aluminum mast complete with a radar, GPS receiver, TV antenna and running/anchor lights. To be fair, I am usually in saltwater which is one of the best situations you could be in.

5. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

since they radiate at the base, you should keep the base of the antenna above any metal so the x30 may be the better choice

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A VHF/UHF mobile antenna at ground level?...In a Flower Pot ? .performance STINKS !
    Even an antenna or the roof of a Vehicle would work Much MUCH better !
    Any Antenna for VHF and UHF MUST be mounted as high as you possibly can get it otherwise you only have a mile or two range at best.

If your "patio" is elevated on a higher than ground floor, using the railing for a magnetic mount makes a lot of sense, if you have room above it, if not, a quarterwave 2M whip on a magmount will also work fairly well on 440 MHz., since it is an odd number of Quarter Wavelengths on the higher band.
    You can take it down quickly, if you see people looking at it suspiciously.

7. KC2MPG

The patio is on the 6th floor. Just contemplating where to mount the Diamond 30X. A mast in a bucket of gravel? Or perhaps tripod.The tripod would need to be portable and I couldn't screw it down into the floor. Most of the satellite and antenna tripods I have seen seem to have holes in the base of the legs to be mounted to the roof. I wonder how stable those would be unmounted on a patio

8. K6FNI

K6FNI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You might want to consider installing an Arrow J-Pole Antenna under a patio umbrella like I did. I attached a piece of black ABS pipe to my deck railing and inserted the umbrella into the pipe. All anybody sees is a closed umbrella and they have no idea that there is a dual band antenna under it.

I did remove the support structure from the wooden umbrella pole before attaching the J-Pole so I can't actually use the umbrella as an umbrella of course.

As far as performance is concerned, it hits the local repeaters just fine and that's enough for my purposes here.

Robert, K6FNI

9. OH5NXO

OH5NXO Ham Member QRZ Page

The Diamond SE-series is a degree more discreet, no radials. No experiences though.

10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

If You have 10 Ft per floor you would be in pretty good shape at that height, with just a 2M QW for both bands, on a mag mount on the railing, there is enough metal for a good counterpoise. You don't need a big gain antenna up 60+ ft.
    If you have the antenna already, either save it untill you have a house and tower up or sell it.