Dualband Airband (and Ham)?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE7RUX, Nov 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. KE7RUX

KE7RUX Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you all heard of Dualband Airband radios? For example, the Vertex Standard VXA-700 can transmit on Airband (AM) and 2 Meter (AM or NFM).
    There are also radios that are dualband airband VHF and military UHF. An example of this would be an air traffic control radio.

Do you know of any radios that are dualband airband and ham, airband VHF UHF, or similar?
    Comment them below! 73

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If they are ham radios they would not be certified for use on AM airband frequencies.

Are you looking for a ham radio or a certified aircraft radio ?

KD8ZMN likes this.
  3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Any radio legal would HAVE to be certificated by the FCC for aircraft (AM) band use. IF Amateur FM frequencies are also allowed, that is considered a bonus, and certainly possible. BUT the wider the receiver bandwidth, the greater possibility (probability/) of interference from other signals.

4. KE7RUX

More specifically an airband radio with ham band(s) as well. More in particular radios that can transmit AM and NFM or dualband VHF / UHF airband.
    Are you referring to illegal radios that can transmit on Airband (AM) and ham band (NFM) or are you referring to modified radios? I've only seen one radio that can transmit on Airband and Ham band and it was manufactured for that very purpose.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not that I know of. The problem being that aeronautical is still AM. Not any commercial AM/FM HTs I know of. Sure, there are transceivers that cover VHF and have AM/SSB/FM capability, but unless modified they would not be able to transmit on the frequencies you are interested in.

6. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

y'all commenters ever try google before typing?

yes the radio exists. it is totally certificated for am air band. it totally was capable of fm on the amateur 2 meter band

it is now discontinued

it did not get very good reviews, suffered from some predicable issues inter-mod and poor sensitivity. and a few others poor audio on transmit and low power

so if you get one cheap enough to not be sad if it didnt work great, then probably go for it. it will be entertaining

K1OIK likes this.
  7. KE7RUX

I'm assuming you're referring to the Vertex Standard VXA-700. Are you aware of others? I haven't been able to find any others that support AM and NFM...even with Google!

VK6ZGO likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, that's the thing, you see. It's discontinued. And the radio you referred to was never produced in quantity, either.

9. KE7RUX

Doesn't mean it's not available. Are you referring to how it sucks and that's why they no longer produce it or you simply can't buy it from the manufacturer and similar outlets now or both?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  10. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

KE7RUX likes this.