Dual Band Mobile Antenna - Paralysis by Analysis

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K9BMH, Mar 11, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K9BMH

K9BMH Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, fellow hams I surrender. I need some help. I recently switched cars from a dad van with tons of roof space to an 08 Mini Cooper hatchback. I have a Yaesu-FT-100D installed and my old dual band antenna isn't cutting the mustard. I have a Tram mag mount that is a shorter one at like 19" or so. I have the panorama roof on my Mini so most of the roof is sunroof. I am barely able to hit my local repeaters now and I suspect the lack of metal roof is hurting me.

So I began researching options. I know Tram was junk anyway but it worked fine on my last car. My mini is a hatchback so my plan is to buy two lip mounts and put a vhf/uhf on one side of the hatch and an HF on the other so I can fully utilize the radio. I have studied reviews and tons of options for the vhf/uhf mobile and I am dizzy so I fear I have paralysis by analysis now. I am seeking help to identify a decent antenna that would be in the $40-60 range that will get me some reasonable dbi improvement and will work with a lip mount. Thoughts?

2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Larsen NMO2/70C (chrome) or NMO2/70B (Black).
    A bit beyond the top of your price range --- but worth the extra cost.
    ;)

AI7PM and K0UO like this.
  3. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you run an analyzer on the one you have? Sounds like it may have an issue. Bad coax, bad solder joint etc.

4. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've run Diamond NR770H antenna on multiple vehicle for over 25 years. They are rugged and work quite well. I like the gain of a 1/2 wave over a 1/4 wave. I live in the mountains so I like the "upward" pattern of the 1/2 wave over a 5/8 wave.
    Recently, on my wife's car, she wanted something smaller and less obvious. I installed an Austin 500C on an NMO mount. I'm very impressed with this little antenna. It works extremely well for it's size.

5. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't go with a lip mount unless your Mini has a big sun/moonroof. I would use a decent mag mount, center of the roof.

If I wasn't using the 70cm side for repeaters, I'd run a 5/8s 2m whip instead of a dual band whip.

I suspect, though, there are problems elsewhere that are plaguing you. Unless you are driving in deep canyons hitting distant repeaters, I'd check the coax first.