Dual-Band (40/80M) 2-Ele Phased Vertical Array

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by NL7W, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anyone done this? I assume it woudl be tricky...
    Is it impractical or too difficult to accomplish?

2. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

It does not appear to be too difficult... Proof is in getting it done :)

I want something directional for receiving on 40. Looking at my available resources... transmit capability does not appear to add much to the problem.

I noticed the other day that my two wire antennas are hung from 69 and 72 foot limbs. A line through the support points runs pretty much east-West. The supports are ~30' apart. I can hang a 40 m half wave from each. With a capacity hat I can shorten it enough to use elevated radials. As a bonus, it's a 1/4 wave pair on 80 m but I will need to get the radials to work on both bands.

My plan is step by step. Put up on vertical and see how it works (bandwidth, matching, signal at DX, both bands). If good then a second will go up and I'll play with phasing.

From all I read, the phasing is the tricky part. I'll start out with a simple delay line for reversal and see how that woks. If good,,, then look into something a little more complicated.

As for feeding one antenna on both bands. There are many articles on different methods. Plan is to try a few and see which works best with what's in the parts bin.

If it turns out that 80 is too much trouble... It's 40 I'm mainly after.

73, -bob

3. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

4. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the old Hy-Gain Hy-Tower manual or supplement had a multi-band capable phasing arrangement associated with it. I'll have dig that up and read that to get ideas that may work.
    Hmm...