Dstar via DVAP or DV Dongle?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W1EED, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. W1EED

W1EED Ham Member QRZ Page

yes rick, nice qso. sorry so short, i was struggling to keep my eyes open. I found the DVAP and Dongle at a local shop 20min up the road. Going tommorow to make an executive decision between the 2. I think im leaning towards the dvap, but you never know. Both are fun and practical. dang, this decision is a tough one

2. W1EED

Just arrived back from the local ham store. I ended up picking up the dv dongle instead of the DVAP. I am going to try out the NQSMHS hotspot as an alternative to the DVAP. The NQSMHS is a board that plugs into your computer, and uses a pre-existing modem equipped radio to create a hotspot. It utilizes a fullsize outdoor antenna. I am doing this to be able to add another simplex hotspot to the map. I will have to report on that when I get that up and running. Now, off to install and set up the dongle.

3. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good luck with the Dongle. When you get it set up go to Ref 20A it is jumping right now. Listening on the KC2TGB B repeater in Atlantic City.

4. W1EED

Almost got the kinks worked out Rick. Will jump on there in a few minutes. Setting this thing up on the Mac is a PITA!

5. KC2ESD

I heard you on the KC2TGB repeater.

6. W1EED

yea, I was in there. Just had some trouble with the internet cause of the wind last night. Alot of r2d2. Problem has cleared itself out. I am pretty impressed with the dongle so far. aside from it being a PAIN to set up on the mac, once you have it running it works great. The only thing, which if anyone else is planning on doing it, is you have to make sure that you are registered through the mega gateway with 2 devices, not just for a radio, cause the DVTool program will lock out your PTT until the mega gateway confirms with DVTool that yes, you can use the dongle. I rectified this by adding another call to my name and specifying it for dongle. I imagine in the future this is going to confuse more people so this should clear up any questions that they have as to why the PTT is grayed out. This way nobody is uninstalling and reinstalling the program. Also, with the mac, do not use the .jar file to launch the program as it will not talk to a driver it needs. Launch just the DVTool program. Your internet speed needs to be at if not above par, and unless you are running a wireless-n router with an EXCELLENT up/download rate which can keep up with the dongle, multitasking will cause alot of R2D2 and "packetloss". I will post more as I gain more experience with this.
    Rick, maybe you can chime in here with the pros/cons of the DVAP? Anything you have found you dislike with it yet?

7. KC2ESD

So far no problems till tonight. It seems there is a problem with DVAP and Dongles getting connected to the gateway. First I though it was just my system then I heard on Ref 12c during the D-Star scanner net via the KC2TGB repeater that other hams are having the same problem with their DVAP/ Dongles. I am getting the error message "No Gateways Found". This is the first time for me and others said this has not happened for a long time. When the DVAP does connect as it did all this week and earlier today it is flawless. More later.

Rick KC2ESD

8. KC2ESD

DVAP is back online. Possible problem with the gateway in Ohio.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  9. W1EED

I had the same issue. Couldnt load the gateway list on the DVTool program. Thinking same as you, it was the Ohio MegaGateway. The outage did lead me to find DVTools 2.0beta. For anyone who is still on 1.0, def search for the 2.0beta as it looks much more professional. It allows you to compile your fav. repeaters and reflectors into a list instead of scrolling the numerous ones searching for what you are looking for. It appears, if it stays this way in the full version, that it will be much more user friendly, and customizable. Also, there is a spot to leave a message on TX in the beta which is not currently available on 1.0. I am excited to see what else will be implemented in 2.0.

10. VE6JKV

VE6JKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, provided you are registered properly, with a terminal set up, you don't need anything else registered to use a DVAP or a Dongle. I am the adminstrator of a gateway, and I have just my callsign registered with one terminal set up, and it worked fine when I had a Dongle, and works fine now with my DVAP. The reason for registering another terminal for DVAP or Dongle use is so that people know that if you have that suffix, they can't callsign route to you, but that's the only reason.

Hope this clears up some confusion

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.