Dstar via DVAP or DV Dongle?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W1EED, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just ordered...

I just ordered the DVAP from HRO. :D Should have it by Tuesday of next week. I let you all know how it goes when I hook it up, hopefully by the Mid-Atlantic D-Star net on reflector 20A.

Rick KC2ESD

2. W1EED

W1EED Ham Member QRZ Page

Rick when you get it we should schedule a qso on 20a so I can get a voice review. Hope it turns out good. I am gonna hold off on the order and await your determination on its worth.

3. KC2ESD

I'll let you know when I get the DVAP. It's still 2 days away from getting it.

4. KC2ESD

Sounds like a repeater

I've heard other Hams using DVAP when I do net control for the Mid-Atlantic D-Star Net and they sound the same as if they are going though a repeater. Once in a while if there is an internet connection problem I do hear R2D2 from other users. Still a day or 2 away from my DVAP arriving.

Rick KC2ESD

5. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You really haven't had an answer to your question about using the DVAP as a Dongle. I believe that the answer is 'no'. The Dongle contains the vocoder chip that's required to turn speech into the encoded digital datastream. The DVAP uses the vocoder in the radio.

6. W1EED

Interesting. The price jump between the dongle and dvap is roughly 40 bucks depending on where you buy it. DVAP coming in with the higher price. Now, with the exception of the antenna, one would think that eliminating the vocoder would drop the price down being it taps off the radios vocoder. There is probably more to the DVAP that jumps the price, but if there isnt, I find it hard to believe a 1" rubber antenna costs 40 when a diamond dual band HT antenna is obtained for roughly the same price. I am still ordering either the dongle or the dvap regardless, just a little curious about the price hike between the 2.

7. W1EED

Rick, did you get the DVAP yet?

8. KC2ESD

Just got the DVAP and testing

Hello everyone, I just got the DVAP and have it installed on my PC. (Will try it on the Mac this weekend) To answer the question about using the computer's mike and speakers to operate DVAP: No, you must have a D-Star radio to use it. If you want to use the computer you have to use the Dongle. So far I have got great reports from other stations from NJ to California. Everyone sounded good too on my end too. I was able to go as far as 100 yards before I got a signal loss on the DVAP's stubby antenna. Working great And I am happy with it.

Rick KC2ESD enjoying D-Star

9. W1EED

rick i will have to chat with you on the NJ2DG repeater sometime. I am always on there on 20a. That and the NJ2MC 20a repeater also. Give a call out sometime. If I have the ht on, i will call back.

10. KC2ESD

Nice QSO of Ref 20A, Going to bed. DVAP Rocks.
    Rick KC2ESD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.