DStar Squelch

Discussion in 'Digital Radio, DMR, Fusion, Wires, DSTAR' started by KE8ABO, Jan 23, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE8ABO

KE8ABO Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently picked up an Icom ID5100A and I'm struggling to understand the squelch behavior on DStar. I'll often see the busy indicator showing activity on a DStar repeater, but I have to turn my squelch all the way down to receive the activity. In dual receive mode, that means I'm hearing static whenever there isn't activity. Occasionally, stations will come through just fine even without fiddling with the squelch, but I haven't been able to figure out the combination that produces those results, it seems to be totally random.

I was originally having a similar issue transmitting and I realized Local CQ is only for Local contacts and Use Reflector must be selected for linked contacts. I am wondering if there's a similar distinction on the receive side, and I'm at the mercy of other stations to properly select the "TO:" designation. A lot of stations seem to be using hotspots so I suspect that could make it possible to operate with incorrect settings. It seems the stations I can't hear with squelch are more numerous than those I can. If this is some type of "selective" squelch issue, it would be nice if there was a way to just disable that.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond!

'73

2. KE8ABO

KE8ABO Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I believe I've found a workable solution. If I set the receive mode to DV only, all signals come through regardless of squelch settings. The receive mode setting is unique to the radios DR mode, and returns to dual receive when you put the radio back in memory or VFO mode, so it's a workable solution for me. This is glitchy behavior though, and I imagine it would be a nuisance for a repeater which operated analog or DStar. I did confirm that, in dual receive mode, some stations would break squelch fine while others would be inaudible. I suspect hotspots might play a role, but I'm not certain. Even on the same reflector, I could listen to two stations having a QSO with squelch off, and hear only one of the two stations with squelch on.