DRM options for OSX, anyone have a modern build of DREAM working?

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by W2MDW, May 2, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. W2MDW

W2MDW Ham Member QRZ Page

Having had an IC-7300 for a while now and it offering a 12kHz IF out, specially for DRM demodulation, I've been fighting with DREAM to get any audio.

I've got an older build working, and I can get audio into it, but it has a tough time demodulating, it'll pull out all the metadata and show me the name of the show that's airing and such, but only blips of audio here and there.

Are there any modern DRM solutions for OSX? I enjoy SWL and having solid DRM reception when I've got a signal would be great!

(I've also tried to go through the build instructions, and I'm familiar with compiling software, but I refuse to use MacPorts and I think some of the instructions are dated, so I've run into some blockages building the most recent version of the source, which is quite old, myself).

Great to see this forum here, hopefully it takes off!

-Matt, W2MDW

2. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

3. W2MDW

Yes, that's the release I'm running. I can typically get all boxes green except for the MSC CRC. Curious if any of the newer builds did a better job with demodulation, more efficiency in the algorithms or ability to decode weaker signals.

There's a good amount of DRM broadcasts out there, always curious who's listening and how. I've looked for hardware solutions, which are tough to find (last I checked anyway) and I don't think there are many software solutions out there.

4. K3DCW

K3DCW QRZ Lifetime Member #212 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

The file I linked to doesn't require building; it is a pre-packaged app v1.11.

A search of SourceForge shows another DREAM app version 2.1.1 that is a pre-built app; it can be found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/drm/. I downloaded and ran it, but haven't tried it out on any DRM signals due to storms in the area right now.

5. W2MDW

The issue with the 2.1.1 OSX build is that it can't find FAAD2, necessary for decoding the audio, despite me having successfully compiled the libraries. So when I get a successful decode in 2.1.1, it says there's no means of audio demodulation.

The FAAD2 library must be included or linked correctly in 1.1.1. But the jump to 2.1.1 seems big (some UI changes, and I'm sure under the hood changes).

6. G0OAN

G0OAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

According to the Dream Wiki, http://drm.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Building_on_Mac_OSX_Yosemite

"The version of FAAD2 in Macports does not include DRM support. We need to download the modified version from Audiocoding.com which includes Digital Radio Mondiale support, and compile it ourselves".

The Wiki then goes on to explain how to download the modified copy of FAAD2, install it and compile Dream.

Let me know how you get on.

Sean.